Decisions.... Decisions... HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you looked into the Backplate/wing travel options. DSS and Oxycheq are great options for a durable,low profile, compact setup. I dive the Oxycheq 18lb wing with the travel SS plate and the delux harness with two small weight pockets. Sweet.

I travel with a small bp/w and a SS plate - it's compact, easy to dry, fun to dive & a great choice!

Personally I would stay away from integrated weights in a travel BC. If you are planning a Galapagos trip that means cold water and heavier suits or even a dry suit for me. After BPW my personal travel favorite BC is the Zeagle Express Tech with the 34lb bladder. Add a weight pouch to each cam band, drop up to 5 lbs in each and you now have a lightweight rugged BC that imitates a BPW with a heavy plate or reduce it to 3lbs each and it's now a standard plate. I also prefer a weightbelt with 4 of the XS velcro pockets under the crotch strap. I can easily drop one or two weights and still maintain control over my ascent.

The SP regs are good but you will pay a premium for the name. I have as my cold water regs Oceanic, Sherwood, and now HOG. The HOG's are a 1/3 of the price of the ScubaPro's you noted and IMO perform just as well if not better and I can service them myself. I can do that with all my regs but I can buy parts for them without going black market to get them. Any competent tech can service them as well. I actually will be taking service kits with me when I travel now just in case. I have always done that for my Oceanic's but they are getting harder to aquire as a non dealer of that line and I'm a factory authorized tech for them.

I use a simple Oceanic Veo that is going on 7 years old for my computer and will keep using it til it craps out. Until I get really into trimix I don't even need a comp as I use the Veo in guage mode most of the time and plan and dive tables. I see no need for gimmicks like heart monitors, built in pressure guage, air integration, etc. If yo ufeel you must have a comp get one that will do nitrox and stop there. You can easily get one for under $400US if you make a trip to the US. Zeagle, DiveRite, Oceanic, Etc all make good basic computers that will do the job.

Back
Top Bottom