Deco Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
This weekend I get to dive on Saturday…. the Max depth will be 60’; more than likely 40’. I will finish my last dive of two about 12 noon. On Sunday, my family wants to go snowboarding where my max elevation will be 8000’ I will arrive at that elevation about 8 am which mean I will have been out of the water for 19 hours.

I think that the 24 hour rule is basic. Basic in that it is a generic rule for scuba divers who wish to travel in non-pressurized plane after diving. I could be wrong?

Should I be worried? I really can’t switch the days… so should I cancel one of the two. I really would not like to get the bends on the mountain while everyone is having fun.

By the way this dilemma is why I love California.

Thanks for any advice,

Thomas

The 12 hour after a single dive/18 hour after multiple (no deco) dives is based on the 8000' msl nominal altitude of airliner cabins. In other words, at 19 hours after the dives you describe, an ascent to 8000' is within current guidelines.
If you want more detail, go to the DAN site where you'll find many articles on the subject.
Rick

Like Rick M says, that would be fine. NOAA has dive-fly tables that work just like surface interval tables.

About .45 hours to get to get from 1000' to 8000'.

Are you diving with a dive computer? It will give you an estimated no fly. I usually find that unless you really push the time diving it is not more than 12-16 hours.

Mike

Be careful. . . I went up to the Observatories on top of Mauna Kea (@ 13,800ft. elev.) on the Big Island of Hawaii: Came down with nausea, headache and shortness-of-breath after a few minutes on the summit. Surface interval was over 24 hours, after an intense week of Deep Technical Mixed-Gas Training.
Rule-Out DCS vs. Altitude Sickness Syndrome.

Kevrumbo:
Be careful. . . I went up to the Observatories on top of Mauna Kea (@ 13,800ft. elev.) on the Big Island of Hawaii: Came down with nausea, headache and shortness-of-breath after a few minutes on the summit. Surface interval was over 24 hours, after an intense week of Deep Technical Mixed-Gas Training.
Rule-Out DCS vs. Altitude Sickness Syndrome.

What you describe is text book altitude sickness. 13,800 is more than enough altitude to bring it on, with or without prior diving.

double80s:
What you describe is text book altitude sickness. 13,800 is more than enough altitude to bring it on, with or without prior diving.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Text book.
Rick

If you're talking about 1 dive, single tank to 40 ft, then 19 hrs to altitude, you're 7 hrs longer than DAN recommends as a minimum, plus your dive is pretty shallow. As far as the computer time to fly goes, mine automatically counts down from 24hrs even if you go for a 10 min 15 ft dive; I don't think most recreational computers give you a shorter time to fly based on low nitrogen loading; I think they just tick down from 24 no matter what. There might be a "desat" time, usually much shorter after a single dive.

Back
Top Bottom