"Deep and Safety Stops, Including Ascent Speed and Gradient Factors"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
Wanted to get some feedback on the book "Deep and Safety Stops, Including Ascent Speed and Gradient Factors" by Anton Swanepoel. Anyone read this?

Thanks

LOTS of information. Occasionally goofy editing. I am about 3/4 through the book and so far it has scared the heck out of me! No solid "rules to go by" yet but a lot of information on what goes wrong if you stop too deep, stop too shallow, ascend too quickly, ascend too slowly, stay deep too long, don't stay deep LONG ENOUGH, stop at the right depth but ascend too slowly, etc.

Lots of information on lesions in your eyes, brain, spine. Bubbles everywhere. Sudden death caused by cracking your knuckles while ascending. Bladder failure caused by bending your spine too far at your safety stop. It might even be possible to be turned into a face eating zombie if your knuckles crack hoisting your tank by the valve...

If this book is widely read PADI will be besieged by people asking for refunds on their OW cards!

Just finished the book. On the evidence in the book I would completely give up deep stops for non-deco diving.

On the other hand, the evidence does confirm my computer's preference for 20' safety stops for recreational dives!

Anyone know if the writer is credible?

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom