Deep Sea Detectives.... why do I bother?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim:
I agree with most of what has been said. Still, its cool that the show exists at all. John C has done well as the host. I do miss Kohler. Who is that awful woman? She ruins the entire experience with that false enthusiasim.

Melanie works for IANTD. Richie will be back as co-host soon.

trob09:
Melanie works for IANTD. Richie will be back as co-host soon.

Hi trob09,
I thought your face was familiar. :wink:

Re-reading my post I regret the use of the word "awful" to describe the co-host. I simply have issue with her atempts at acting. Keep it real sister. :)

Ok, I taped the show and finally watched it. A couple of thoughts:

1) For so-called wreck divers they show pathetic buoyancy skills. They touch, no they intentionally lean their palm on live brain coral on at least 3 shots, and wedge a fin on another brain coral in another scene to get neutral.....I am really surprised that they set such a poor example and that the producer and edit team actually allowed this to be shown. I wonder how many other shots of them doing other bad things to the environment never made it past the cutting room floor!

2) I know that this show is not for divers as such, but some respect has to be shown for the dive site and what lives on it to demonstrate professionalism and awareness of the environment. I have dived this site more than once...it is not a very difficult dive and even if you have a fancy rebreather it gives you no excuse to tread on a living brain coral!!

Scubamax

scubamax:
Ok, I taped the show and finally watched it. A couple of thoughts:

1) For so-called wreck divers they show pathetic buoyancy skills. They touch, no they intentionally lean their palm on live brain coral on at least 3 shots, and wedge a fin on another brain coral in another scene to get neutral.....I am really surprised that they set such a poor example and that the producer and edit team actually allowed this to be shown. I wonder how many other shots of them doing other bad things to the environment never made it past the cutting room floor!

2) I know that this show is not for divers as such, but some respect has to be shown for the dive site and what lives on it to demonstrate professionalism and awareness of the environment. I have dived this site more than once...it is not a very difficult dive and even if you have a fancy rebreather it gives you no excuse to tread on a living brain coral!!

Scubamax

Which show did you watch? The first show tonight was the I-169 in Truk lagoon.

Wow... Very interesting thread. Bizarre timing. Guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag:

My best guess is that about a month ago, Liquid Pictures, the affiliates of Deep Sea Detectives and the History Channel, included Scubaboard in their talent search... Since Chatterton's buddy died, there's been a "vacancy" as co-host on the show, and they've been looking for the right person to fit in. Finding a blonde, female diver (as sexist as it sounds) has apparently been the popular thought, for some of the reasons listed above. Apparently the viewers really like the idea.

Apparently they used a variety of sources, including some of the moderators/administrators of this site - and through whatever means, our resident DIR femme diver RavenC ( http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org/homerobyn.html ) was brought to the attention of the powers that be at Liquid Pictures.

She wasn't alone - Liquid Pictures "narrowed the field" down to about 500 "possibilities" before making a "final cut." RavenC was contacted, conversed with, and asked for a portfolio that included photographs, educational requirements, and of course, a dive resume.

At that point, I decided to put away my "beef" with Scubaboard - I know this wasn't done for me, but for what it's worth, I thank you, SB, for what you've done for the woman that I am in love with. I've also noted that SB's age requirements have changed - 'nuff said on that topic. I won't mention it again. Thank you, SB, and all that represent it.

...Anyway, prior to submitting "chosen talent" to The History Channel (apparently the final say on who gets to be co-host), Liquid Pictures narrowed the number down to 5 finalists. RavenC was chosen as a finalist. I'm about to pop with excitement. I'm so proud of my girl that I could just explode. :D

She's been asked for a personal interview on the 23rd of this month - so she's flying out to Berkeley, California for an interview. When she told me this, she asked me to go with her - and simply justified it by saying to me, "Of course I want you to go - you're my teammate." Awwww, maaaaaan... :D

...So in the next coming months, who knows? You could be watching your local Scubaboard diva co-hosting the show. And in case it helps any, yes, she's fully DIR - which means that there will be more boring planning than diving, but it won't upset you with a poor example of buoyancy. :D

Thanks again SB.

Hey SeaJay, that's very cool. Good luck to RavenC!

I thought last night's show on Truk was better. It's probably because I'm ornery but there's something about those silver Star Trek rebreathers that bugs me. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom