Deep Sea Detectives.... why do I bother?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver:
Which show did you watch? The first show tonight was the I-169 in Truk lagoon.

It was the show about the wreck of the Mary Celestia in Bermuda.

Scubamax

scubamax:
It was the show about the wreck of the Mary Celestia in Bermuda.

Scubamax

A few weeks ago they filmed a dive on the Marine Electric from the Surface Interval, a boat some of us dive off Delaware. It should be on in several weeks. I understand JC's struggled to flop onto the aft platform in seas rising to 5 feet. That alone should be worth watching.

In the show on Truk and the I-169, the videographer with that entered the wreck with JC used a rebreather system to descend, switched to a single to dive the wreck due to clearance, then switched back to the rebreather upon exiting the wreck for ascent. JC used a single for the whole dive. What would the point be with switching gear like that? Why not just stage a bottle outside the wreck and on the ascent line for deco? Very strange and seemed like it was done for drama. Overall I really love the show though. They do have to dramatize to spice it up so that non divers will watch.

octotat:
In the show on Truk and the I-169, the videographer with that entered the wreck with JC used a rebreather system to descend, switched to a single to dive the wreck due to clearance, then switched back to the rebreather upon exiting the wreck for ascent. JC used a single for the whole dive. What would the point be with switching gear like that? Why not just stage a bottle outside the wreck and on the ascent line for deco? Very strange and seemed like it was done for drama. Overall I really love the show though. They do have to dramatize to spice it up so that non divers will watch.

The shooter couldn't penetrate the wreck with the rebreather.

I have seen several underwater photographers use two-hose regulators to keep exhaust bubbles behind them. Perhaps this one uses a rebreather for a similar purpose.

ColdH20diving:
I enjoy the show most of the time, just wish it was in High Def.

I don't have HDTV, but I assumed the Truk episode was broadcast in HD since the camera crew was using the high def video cameras. I understand the Titanic episode that was on right after was HD. Could be wrong though.

Got TVO?

I love pausing the show and checking out the equipment, the skills, etc. Saw Mr. Chatterton diving the BWOD again last night. I try to learn something from the show... about the diving, about the history. I enjoy any show with divers/water in it.
To insult a guy with as much experience as John has, considering how many dives I have over 200' deep (ZERO!), is just dumb. Like some poor slob with a few hundred recreational dives and a AOW PADI card can talk. Funny...
Sure, I'd like to see and hear more about the actual diving, but I'm happy to have it while it's on - which won't be forever.
Now if they would just bring back Sea Hunt... :wink:

SeaJay:
...Now there's an idea. A "New Millenium Sea Hunt." That would be cool.
Starring SeaJay????????? :11:
Naw, you might get temperamental and walk off the set. :wink:

Hey! That last post was my number 1000!
Man, I need to get a life...

Rick Inman:
To insult a guy with as much experience as John has, considering how many dives I have over 200' deep (ZERO!), is just dumb. Like some poor slob with a few hundred recreational dives and a AOW PADI card can talk. Funny...

Hi Rick,
I'm not sure who you're referring to about insulting JC, but if one of my posts appeared to insult him let me assure you that that's the last thing I intended. I've got as much respect of that guy as anybody, especially with regard to the recoveries he's done on the Doria. That kind of diving takes a special diver, which John has obviously proven himself to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom