Deep Solo Wreck Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From DCBC public profile:
Dive History
I've been diving for the past 44 years (age 12) and have been teaching for the past 37 years. I've been a member of the Experimental Diving Unit (Diving Officer), Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine (Navy) [now the Diving Research Facility, Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC)].

From gcbryan public profile:

Certification History
OW,AOW,Nitrox,Rescue
# of Logged Dives
500 - 999
Dive Classification
Experienced Diver
Years Certified
Ten Or More Years

:rofl3::rofl3:

I wasn't aware that on a discussion board one isn't allowed to comment unless one has more dives/experience. I guess you aren't allowed to comment regarding DCBC either.:wink:

Interesting signature line considering your comments.

Great thread, thank you for sharing. From the sound of it you prepared properly for your plan and your dive. What you did not plan or prepare for was choosing to bail out someone else (let alone two other people). Ultimately, some people can't turn off their team diving instincts even if they are on a solo dive. The lesson I take away from this is that going from solo diver to rescue diver is not an easy transition unless it is included in your plan.

or

If you are going to play Superman don't forget to bring your cape.

Thanks for sharing DBC, I think this situation would also apply to any dive, I guess the lesson learned is be aware of who you are diving with and their abilities, although I can not imaginge making a dive to that depth on a single tank with air!

We all must remember that this dive took place 20+ years ago. At this point in time, the J valve was just starting to make it's exit from recreational diving. Rule of thirds was just for them cave folk in florida. With that being said, history is what we learn from, which is why DCBC has made this post. It is quite clear that this type of diving is carried out in a different manor nowadays. This is, however because of lessons that have been learned in the past on such dives.

As this point in time, we know quite clearly what the limits of recreational diving are. These limits have been pushed, with fatal consequences. At the time of said dive, these limits may not have been so clear.. Looks like a couple of hotshots got complacent on a vacation.

In the 80's and well into the 90's I remember North East/NY/NJ divers taking double bands to places like Truk, Bonaire, etc. and having the dive operations start lighting candles and hanging garlic when they saw them. They didn't dive doubles no matter how deep, just adjusted their bottom times.

I also remember being asked what was inside of the clear battery area of an old Ikelite 6 D-cell light - what was inside was the US Navy deco tables for 100-200 feet. The Dive guide (I won't call them Dive Masters) had never seen them.

Perhaps this can start you to realize the arc of dive practice that has occurred since the early/mid 90's.

Sounds like the root cause of the problem was the same as what we hear on a regular basis. A diver on vacation has an opportunity to do a dive they couldn't do at home. It's beyond their training, but they might not get another opportunity. Maybe there's a DM or instructor along so they feel safer. Maybe they don't understand how this dive would dbe more difficult and dangerous than what they normally do. Maybe they just think they are more skilled than they actually are. The result is a fatality or an incident of some sort, I wouldn't call it an accident under the circumstances.

I wasn't aware that on a discussion board one isn't allowed to comment unless one has more dives/experience. I guess you aren't allowed to comment regarding DCBC either.:wink:

Interesting signature line considering your comments.

My signature doesn't say I'm without error. Re-reading I noticed the wink that I somehow missed the 1st time and "jumped the keyboard" thinking you were serious about the training part. Anyone can comment on anything, but if someone else finds something you post funny and says so well that happens. Please accept my apology. I'd edit it but that ship has sailed.:kiss2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom