Question Deep6 Eddy fins in yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally went with the OMS Slipstream... while they may not give me that 'Eddy's magic,' they're doing their duty. Feeling froggy in yellow :)
Awesome.

One thing I left out was that my previous fins were slightly positive in salt water, which I liked, so that was another reason to try the Eddys.

What is the downside of the hole in the blade?
if good hydrodynamics matter in fins (which admittedly is a questionable premise) the foil tip is a terrible place for a disruptive feature like that. It almost certainly reduces power and efficiency to provide some users with an unnecessary cosmetic convenience.

Has anyone ever spotted yellow Eddy fins, or is Deep6 ignoring one of the best diver colors? I had the chance to try the Eddys and they've won me over (for wetsuit). But, even love for flippers has its limits - I'm not changing my colors for them. Got to draw the line somewhere
each color we do requires us to order 900 pairs of fins.

Has anyone ever spotted yellow Eddy fins, or is Deep6 ignoring one of the best diver colors? I had the chance to try the Eddys and they've won me over (for wetsuit). But, even love for flippers has its limits - I'm not changing my colors for them. Got to draw the line somewhere

If they ONLY offered them in orange, well, I would agree with you. As awesome as they are, I would dive something else rather than dive orange fins. But, they have other colors and black goes with everything...

each color we do requires us to order 900 pairs of fins.

This is not a complaint on the time table. Merely an expression of my eagerness.

I am looking forward to buying 1 of 900 when some negatively buoyant ones come in. (as long as they are black, of course) lol

if good hydrodynamics matter in fins (which admittedly is a questionable premise) the foil tip is a terrible place for a disruptive feature like that. It almost certainly reduces power and efficiency to provide some users with an unnecessary cosmetic convenience.
well, I can't perceive any power of efficiency difference, nor did CAD modeling. If you have modelled it and got different results, I would be interested in taking a look

It was never put there for cosmetics, no idea where you got that idea, let alone the authority to state it. It was put there to get a contract and then because I felt it didn't hurt performance in any meaningful manner stayed there because changed the mold for that contract, didn't do new molds because frankly it is expensive to make flipper molds, and change them .

I find it amazing how you can state with such certainty why I did something when you have no basis to state it and are factually wrong.

Had no choice but to flutter to keep up, thus breaking my very long streak of no flutter. LOL I did manage to keep up though and I was worried my legs might not have been able to manage the stiffness of the blade, but it wasn't too bad on that try.
many if not most folks think a flutter is a faster kick than frog in diving, it's really not when your frog is mastered. Swimming no flippers(fins..lol) and diving with them are quite different. In swimming what most think of the same as flutter, and actual trained swimmer using a freestyle kick may look like a flutter, but a divers flutter is mostly all knees down and a swimmers freestyle becomes the fastest kick when your upper legs are doing it right. ( freestyle ) Some freediving fins let you freestyle quite well however, 99% of dive fins are not going to be a help there at all. Note that frogs themselves don't revert to a flutter to go fasterfrogs do a great frog kick..weird that

A well trained and practiced frog kick in diving actually like freestyle involves your upper legs a ton, and see many divers doing frog not really involve them. See this video that shows very little upper leg or quad involvement frog kick, it works fine but will lack power compared to using quads/upper legs lower power frog but pretty , now compare to more powerful but i would quibble on knees and fin tip dropping

This is not a complaint on the time table. Merely an expression of my eagerness.

I am looking forward to buying 1 of 900 when some negatively buoyant ones come in. (as long as they are black, of course) lol
It's me complaining that a new color costs a fortune to bring in and that we have to make sure that we have sell thru capacity to make it work

well, I can't perceive any power of efficiency difference, nor did CAD modeling. If you have modelled it and got different results, I would be interested in taking a look

It was never put there for cosmetics, no idea where you got that idea, let alone the authority to state it. It was put there to get a contract and then because I felt it didn't hurt performance in any meaningful manner stayed there because changed the mold for that contract, didn't do new molds because frankly it is expensive to make flipper molds, and change them .

I find it amazing how you can state with such certainty why I did something when you have no basis to state it and are factually wrong.

Didn't mean to sound frustrated with D6 - all the fin companies have been adding that hole in recent years. I love your stuff and how your company does things. I know the hole is for hanging and not purely cosmetic, though I don't quite understand why the tip-hanging requirement is so important. Sounds like a government/navy customer demands it, maybe for something about how they do their missions. I would be interested to know why they need it. That's really what I meant by cosmetics - I can't think of a reasony anyone would care about hanging fins from the tip rather than the strap.

Of course it makes sense to change the mold to win a big contract.

As for whether it affects performance, I do buy that any detriment is small or imperceptible. I'm super interested in how different fin features (from the tip hole, to vent shapes, to "power bands" and other gimmicks) affect real performance. I have a feeling that most of the snazzy designs actually aren't doing much over flat paddles, though admittedly no data to back that up. I would really like to see or even organize some independent testing of different fins. That could be computer modeling, runs with human divers, a fin flapping machine, or some combination. Doing that right costs real time and money though.

How much fluid modeling do you (or any other manufacturer) actually do for fin designs like this? If you have data I would be very very interested in seeing it, or even just learning about the methods, though I understand if it's proprietary.

New colors and especially mold tooling being prohibitively expensive is totally understandable. After all, D6 seems to be focused on low-cost high-performance gear and fussing over little features and custom colors is not really critical to that mission. We as a community, and myself specifically, just love to bitch about products and overly optimize our kit.

Didn't mean to sound frustrated with D6 - all the fin companies have been adding that hole in recent years. I love your stuff and how your company does things. I know the hole is for hanging and not purely cosmetic, though I don't quite understand why the tip-hanging requirement is so important. Sounds like a government/navy customer demands it, maybe for something about how they do their missions. I would be interested to know why they need it. That's really what I meant by cosmetics - I can't think of a reasony anyone would care about hanging fins from the tip rather than the strap.
when combat divers exit the water they use a carabiner to clip fins off to themselves, and fin pocket holes still take some time to drain just as they enter gravity land and it's annoying. Plus, the pocket side clipped is bulky and they want as much mobility as possible, which the pocket end down low gives you versus right at waist or higher if you clipped them off by fin straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom