Delay AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
I think Advanced Open Water is a poor name for the class... it makes people perceive that you are Advanced in the skills of diving. When in fact, you merely took the time to polish those basic skills that you learned in OW.

Me too fishb0y. Im taking my AOW course shortly after passing my OW. I wont be advanced, i'll be 'a little extra experienced' of the skills i learned on my OW.

Scotty

Taking these classes don't make you a better diver. DIVING makes you a better diver. So YOU decide if you want to keep taking classes with just a few handheld dives vs going out there and diving so that you can get the hang of what diving is all about.
For example, why take a peak performance buoyancy class if you still haven't got the basics on it down? The next step after OW isn't AOW. Its diving experience. Throw in a drysuit after OW and you've got plenty to experience and practice before going to AOW. Don't believe me? Put the drysuit on. Drop down 60 feet. Now press and hold the drysuit inflate button(fake an inflate button stuck on). Now learn what to do to keep from zooming to the surface.
Too many think of AOW as a way to become better divers but they haven't even learned the basics yet. Learn your equipment. Practice you buoyancy. Check you weight to see if you're still overweighted. Many go to AOW and still don't even know how much weight they need in fresh or salt water....there is enough to learn and experience before AOW. Unfortunately its because not much is taught in OW anymore. But then again, if they did teach enough then how are they going to push AOW classes on new divers.

fishb0y:
As far as an AOW class goes, I believe you should take that directly after OW. Would it make sense to tell a kid "congrats on getting your learner's permit, now go do some driving on your own until you are ready to take driver's ed..."? Of course not.

You just got certified. 5 more dives with an instructor learning more of the basics would do you alot of good (I get a kick out of instructors trying to sell Peak Performance Buoyancy after OW)...

I think Advanced Open Water is a poor name for the class... it makes people perceive that you are Advanced in the skills of diving. When in fact, you merely took the time to polish those basic skills that you learned in OW.
I agree, that "Advanced Open Water" is a misnomer. Perhaps the 'A' should be "Additional" Open Water...

That being said, I'm not sure your driving analogy plays...

Buoyancy (and hovering), trim, fiddling with guages, weighting, air consumption, etc. are still highly variable factors when you come out of OW. With more dives, increased comfort level, and familiarity with your gear, your weighting comes down, your SAC is reduced, your fiddling decreases, etc.

It's tough to do a navigation speciality, and follow a bearing you've shot, when you're bobbing up and down, with an inflator in one hand, compass in the other, because your buoyancy skills aren't polished...

Anxiety of a deep dive isn't compounded when you know how your dry suit will react as you begin to descend through multiple thermoclines...

Search and recovery skills are simpler, changing bottom topologies less intimidating, and simpler to concentrate on, when you're not preoccupied with your buoyancy, trim, mask clearing, computer, finning technique, SPG, etc.

Low Viz is not as forboding when your gear's fit and function is second nature...

When you get a learner's permit, you're not going to be expected to trim your 'stache, read a newspaper, and keep the cat in your lap, *while* you drive, once you get your license... (however, some of us *do* with all those extra miles logged, mainly because the driving itself is second nature :wink: )

Doesn't mean waiting for the AOW IS the way to do it... it was just my way...

Seems to me the OP is hesitant himself about going directly into the AOW. That's enough of a reason to delay it. An "advanced" diver certification with a total of 9 dives? Get the basics down pat with practice and then take the course, there's no rush.
I wasn't certified in a drysuit, but I was diving one the very first dive after the OW course, and I didn't even get the course. Also, because I never wanted to go on to instruct, or DM etc I never needed the other cards in my wallet. So here I am, 25 years after my OW still wondering if I should take a specialty course. Naaaa.
Some LDS's may push for more courses right away but personaly I'd advise a new diver to get a bit of experience first and then decide if they want it or not. After getting out in the diving world for a bit he may decide what he really wants is to go DIR :11:
Just different opinions, and the OP did ask for opinions:wink:

As to the driving learner's permit, well in many places there are very good reasons for a learner's permit. It carries restrictions that are enforced by law, such as no night driving, no passengers etc. A new driver must remain with a learner's permit for a minumum 60 days before being able to proceed in the licensing process (Ontario requirement, may differ elsewhere). Thus giving the new driver time to experience the basics of driving on the roads before being fully licensed to drive under all conditions etc. A bit off topic but makes sense to me.

Dave

Scotty g:
Me too fishb0y. Im taking my AOW course shortly after passing my OW. I wont be advanced, i'll be 'a little extra experienced' of the skills i learned on my OW.

Scotty
Not necessarily ... I do a lot of remedial work with "divers" who have AOW cards and still can't descend without slamming into the bottom, can't do a safety stop without accidentally ascending to the surface, don't know why they shouldn't be doing a deep dive on an AL80, haven't a clue whether or not they're properly weighted (nor even how to find out), and who couldn't manage a horizontal swimming position if their life depended on it.

Why?

Because their AOW class wasn't sold to them as a place where they might actually be able to develop skills ... it was sold to them as a place to get "a little extra experience" by diving under the supervision of an instructor. If that's all you want, it's cheaper just to pay a DM to take you diving. I maintain you will develop your skills better by practicing them with a dive buddy in relatively shallow water than you will by following an instructor on a deep dive or a night dive. Get comfortable with the basic skills first ... THEN you will be in a position to actually learn something important on that deep dive ... like selecting the right equipment, managing your gas supply, or learning the proper protocols for dealing with the sort of problems that might get you in trouble on a deep dive.

If you're going to take a class, it should be for the purpose of expanding your knowledge and developing a new set of skills ... not rehashing things you were supposed to have already learned.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would definietly suggest that you delay getting the AOW certification. You really need some time to develop your skill foundation.

Just dive! Have fun! Work on your bouyancy and improve your SAC before you rush into another cert.

Of course you LDS will disagree with this. They have to pay the light bill at the shop.

But YOU will benefit by waiting. When you finally do take it, more of the info/skills will "stick" because you'll have a good foundation!

I don't know, like jponline77, I'm considering doing an AOW, I talked to South Beach Divers today and I might head to show the shop later on. I think it will be a good way to meet people in my area, plus I want the benefits of a license that lets you dive deeper.

Also, I have this theory that any dive under 70 feet is likely to have a crowded boat whilee deeper dives probably have less people. Am I wrong?

I would definetly get more OW dives in before taking AOW, as far as diving in a dry suit, get comfortable with your current gear, then when you take the AOW use a dry suit, the difference in 60ft and 100 ft is really that much, just your NDL. (I know people are going to disagree with that comment, but I myself dont feel any different) Dry suits aren't that complex to use either, so to add that to your already familiar gear isnt a big deal. But I do agree that instructor is rushing into things, but remember its your call, all hes doing is trying to put food on the table, you have to worry about your life, whether your ready for it or not.

After about 5 OWdives I was ready for AOW, i just seemed to take to diving like a fish. but everyone is different rememebr that

greg454:
I don't know, like jponline77, I'm considering doing an AOW, I talked to South Beach Divers today and I might head to show the shop later on. I think it will be a good way to meet people in my area, plus I want the benefits of a license that lets you dive deeper.

Also, I have this theory that any dive under 70 feet is likely to have a crowded boat whilee deeper dives probably have less people. Am I wrong?

Yes.............................................

greg454:

the 60 ft is only a recommendation. there's no invisible electric fence at that depth that shocks you if you pass it, i think.

Back
Top Bottom