DEMA 2010 Price increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a short list of some of the bigger local shows, there are more that are smaller regional shows, but this is what I could find easily.

Colorado Dive Show (September 24 -25, 2010)
Florida Dive Show (December 3 - 4, 2010)
Baltimore/DC Dive Show (January 28 -29, 2011)
Our World Underwater (February 18 - 20, 2011)
Texas Dive Show (February 25 - 26, 2011)
Beneath the Sea (March 25 - 27, 2011)
Bay Area Show (April 8 - 9, 2011)
Tacoma Dive and Travel Expo (April 9 - 10, 2011)
Long Beach Scuba Show (June 4 & 5, 2011)

I agree, I think its high, its still a small proportunate cost for an international visitor like me where 4 days at Dema kicks in at a minimum of around $6000.00 (usually a tad more) if you include flights, USA Visa's, Hotel Accom. etc, etc, and thats not taking into account time away from the office which is usually 8 days due to long haul flights and domestic travel - but on its own its expensive.

So, naturally I look to cut where possible. I have attended every show for the last 15 odd years but skipped last year for the first time - didnt notice I missed it.!

I may do it again this year, but, I dont really like Vegas as a destination and I am not sure there will be anything new worth spending that kinda cash to see.
Here's some information for people to consider, when you think, "oh, DEMA needs to increase the admission price to $150 per person.

DEMA CONSOLIDATED INCOME STATEMENT For the Nine Month Period Ended September 30, 2009
REVENUE TRADE SHOW REVENUE
Gross Trade Show Revenue 1,757,283
Less Trade Show Expenses (708,196)
Net Trade ShowRevenue 1,049,088

Maybe I am reading this wrong, anyone clear up for me why DEMA should raise the price of admission??

Divedoris: I believe DEMA raised the non member price of admission due to the fact that many folks have not renewed their membership. After a drive for change and a petition signed by many there was no change at all. The many voices who called for a change were simply ignored.

The current board, even if they are all really good people, are still closed to change. They care, but do not want to try new ideas and take suggestions!! Trust me I have a pile of them. Currently they don’t want to explain to me, a non-member, their reasoning for why the price increased. Not only am I not privy to that information, but as I have found, neither are members, since it’s not in the minutes to any meeting posted yet.

Yes, you are right, I did not renew, because not only do they not listen they don't want to hear suggestions. This will be the first year in over 15 years that I don't go to the show, but for the amount of money spent on the show, even living in the U.S., I can put together a dive trip for customers, order more gear, sell it and make money on it, or just stay here and teach classes, and not spend the money.

I would think that in this economy, DEMA would lower the price, and try to get more people to go, not less. Maybe $150 per person isn’t a lot when you add up all that a non-member will spend going to the show, but it’s might be the straw that breaks the camels back. At sometime, even I will throw up my hands and say “forget it!”

The only logic I have been given for the price increase is that "the host hotel is cheaper this year". Which makes me think, if you can’t find a host hotel in Vegas that will make you a deal, have you really looked, or are you falling into the old patterns? Everyone wants business and that in includes Vegas. Maybe more people would be inclined to book the host hotel, if there were real benefits.

As I said when I ran for the DEMA board, DEMA needs to focus on tangible benefits, giving everyone in the dive industry a reason to join. The blow up Scuba Man just isn't enough (man) for me!!

Divedoris:

You are pretty much spot on.

I was at the first DEMA show in Miami and almost every show since.

The DEMA board, as you pointed out, have ignored any real suggestions from members.
The same folks, even though they change seats, are still in charge. As well meaning as they may be they are not offering any real benefits.

We will not be at DEMA this year.

Our money is invested in maintaining inventory and supporting our Retailers. A couple thousand dollars to walk the aisles, go to a few parties, just does not make sense.

I will not be showing at DEMA for the first time in 22 years. The show has become a place for travel specials to be offered, more than half of the booths are for travel destinations, and, quite frankly, I don't generate enough business there to justify the time and hassle to ship the booth. I will attend, go to the seminars I need to go to to stay current (VIP, regulator seminars, etc.), see friends in the industry, and bitch about how messed up DEMA and the dive industry in general is. I'll know in December if I made a mistake or not. I'd rather spend my time and money exhibiting at consumer shows, meeting my actual customers, rather than the dive shop owners who rarely come on the boat anyway, and hanging with friends.

but for the amount of money spent on the show, even living in the U.S., I can put together a dive trip for customers, order more gear, sell it and make money on it, or just stay here and teach classes, and not spend the money. cut,cut...

I would think that in this economy, DEMA would lower the price, and try to get more people to go, not less.

I think this is pretty much my feeling as well.

In this industry today, I get the feeling one needs to be a bit more prudent than usual, and, I just think investing money where it directly generates profit for me like inventory, upgrades to equipment etc, is a lot more "interesting" to me at this time than Dema, where frankly, I feel I am throwing money away.

The only logic I have been given for the price increase is that "the host hotel is cheaper this year".

So If I am understanding this correctly. The host hotel lowered it's rates and so the DEMA Board raised the cost to offset the savings to members. This way they make more profit. And apparently a lot of profit! And the attendees see no benefit from the reduced rate from the host hotel? Does the host hotel know about this? If I managed it, I would never offer another discount to the group ever.

Yep price increase has put it over the top.... I just don't see the ROI here. The manufacturers have been doing a good job of getting all the info I need from their web sites and sales people no need to spend the travel money...

How do we see how much the show costs, where there is waste and how can the show save money, and ENCOURAGE people to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom