DEMA - Pressed Steel new tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the thread, the specs weren't there.

Someone at DEMA - check this out please! :)

C_C once bubbled...
Once I get the skinny from PST at DEMA.

C_C
I told you so, Genesis! :)

Roak

Thanks....waiting with baited breath! :)

The more data the better - sizes, buoyancy characteristics (and if the VALVE is included in those numbers!), physical specs, and WHEN they can be had would be wonderful!

Hi MikeFerrara,

I've followed your reports on the upcoming 'mystery' PST tank, and you've never mentioned much in the way of details........only that PST was dumping the HP and LP designations and coming up with a single tank standard somewhere between the present LP and HP pressures.......with a size somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 cu. ft.

I appreciate your insight, but had hoped you'd fill in the details a bit more, since you're well connected with PST, but that's all I remember you saying.

MechDiver.........can you (or anyone else) explain the distinction between service pressure and working pressure?

What pressure will end up being stamped on the side of the tank...2400 psi or 3500 psi? MikeFerrara said PST is designing their 'new' tank so that it can be filled to the higher pressures so common on the 'blackmarket'.......so stamping 2400 psi on the tank again would defeat that objective, since people would overfill them...making them just as illegal as the present situation.

MikeFerrara says they'll be 3400 psi tanks.......might this mean that the tanks will be officially 140 cu. ft. tanks with an official pressure @ 2400 psi, but will turn out to have 198 cu ft. @ the 'working' pressure of 3400 psi?

The suspense is killing me!!! :)

PLEASE C_C, let us know everything you find out @ DEMA......it sounds promising.......and if it turns out they're 198 cu. ft tanks, tell the PST rep I'll order the 1st 2 tanks they make, ..........sight and price unseen !!!!

bengiddins once bubbled...
Aren't working pressure and service pressure the same thing? How can they be different values?
Since I couldn't remember which is which, I poked around the DOT Hazmat page and figured out that service pressure is what the cylinder is rated at (eg. 2400) and working pressure is what it can be filled to (eg. 2400 with a + rating can be filled to 2640).

Therefore for an HP (3500 psi) cylinder the working and service pressure are the same.

Roak

I'll try to get my wife to find the data sheet they sent me and post the numbers.

This information is from a document "Gas Cylinder Specification for Scuba" E- Series draft that was faxed to me by PST
I'l list data for the e-140 vs the lp 104

LP-104 E-140

dot spec 3AA E-9791
service presure 2640 3442
water capacity (ci) 1034 1034
Actual capacity (cf) 106.2 135
diameter inches 8 8
length inches 26.88 26.68
weight pounds 46.4 46.4
Thread 3/4-14 3/4-14

They didn't list buoyancy data but told me it would be very close to the lp tanks. This was a draft so the final published may be a little different.

MikeFerrara wrote...

LP-104 E-140

Actual capacity (cf) 106.2 135
So a 104 is a 106, but only if it's overfilled, and a 140 is actually a 135?

Would it really kill marketing to call a spade a spade?

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom