Approximate cost of Tank Tumbling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This week I had 2 tanks inspected.
I paid $37 per tank at a Welding supply store for Hydro testing, instead of the $70 per tank the LDS wanted to charge.
Then took those 2 tanks to the LDS and paid $20 for VIP and $10 for air fill each tank.

I paid $37 per tank at a Welding supply store for Hydro testing, instead of the $70 per tank the LDS wanted to charge.
Then took those 2 tanks to the LDS and paid $20 for VIP and $10 for air fill each tank.
Doesn't the LDS include a VIP and air fill with the Hydro.

Doesn't the LDS include a VIP and air fill with the Hydro.
No, they want $70 just for the Hydro, which is the most I have heard of. Tanks inspections are getting very expensive.
The air fill is not included in the VIP either, $20 for VIP, extra $10 for air fill for a tank up to 100 cu ft, larger tank is more.

No, they want $70 just for the Hydro, which is the most I have heard of. Tanks inspections are getting very expensive.
The air fill is not included in the VIP either, $20 for VIP, extra $10 for air fill for a tank up to 100 cu ft, larger tank is more.
I guess I am out of touch, I pay $20 for a hydro, went up 2 years ago from $10, do my own VIP and fills.

The LDS recently raised their Hydro price. A dive club member told me about the Welding supply, who also sends tanks out weekly, but charges $37 including tax, instead of $70, a comparative bargain. I also found out about some people who do the VIP and will fill for a lot less than the $30 I paid today. Their compressor was down or I would have taken that option now.

(if I remember correctly) During my VIP class, I believe he mentioned there's a website, which lists every place that's certified to do hydrostatic-testing. I think it's in my notes, but those notes are currently sitting in my car in the Texas sun.

I think this may be the website, but I'm not 100% sure:

"I feel your pain!"

Hydro prices also went up at local hydro stations. A few years ago, I think they were $25, but now everywhere is $35. I have 4 expired tanks, and 2 more almost-expired tanks that I need to hydro soon. I'll probably do all 6 at once, even though 2 have another 9 months left, just because of the hassle and cost of driving there twice (once to drop off, again to pick up).

I made a homemade whip as you describe; I installed a plastic tank cap with a hole in the center to keep the SS rod away from the tank neck threads. I tack-welded the SS cable to a length of SS rod. Works great.
a threaded to slip pvc pipe (I think 3/4") fitting works well too - it screws into the tank just fine to protect the threads from getting banged around by the whip shaft.

a threaded to slip pvc pipe (I think 3/4") fitting works well too - it screws into the tank just fine to protect the threads from getting banged around by the whip shaft.
Does this look about right?

edit: or this?

I'll put up a parts-list and instructions when I do the DIY whip, if it works out. So far it's just a metal rod, some stainless-steel cable, SS zip ties, and probably one of those PVC fittings.

Does this look about right?

edit: or this?

I'll put up a parts-list and instructions when I do the DIY whip, if it works out. So far it's just a metal rod, some stainless-steel cable, SS zip ties, and probably one of those PVC fittings.
The first one is what I use. Not sure it’s exact as I just picked it up from local Lowe’s, but it looks like that.

I suppose the one thing I can't tell, is if the PVC it's 3/4-14 based on the description (they all just say 3/4). I might drag one of my empty 6cu bottles to a hardware store to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom