Rust (streaks?) in steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here it is after a little more using the whip from scuba tools. I have only gotten rid of some of the dust by putting the cylinders upside down. Tomorrow I'll blow out a but then take it to get vipped/filled.
Screenshot_20230331_224946_USB endoscope camera for Samsung, Redmi, Sony, Huawei.jpg

I'm definitely past the point of no return. I'll have another batch of tanks that may need to be cleaned after hydro.

I've had fair results with boiling water as a final rinse and then blowing out the inside of the tank using LP air (from another tank vs from a shop compressor) from an LP hose which I cut the 9/16 swivel off and slipped some 3/8" clear tubing over the cut end followed by an approximately 3 foot length of 3/8" copper tubing which had been straightened out. I pour the boiling water in, swish it, turn the tank upside down and empty, and then insert the copper tube while it is upside down and blow it out for 30 seconds or so. Seems to dry it very fast before any significant surface rust can form. I haven't tried any rust inhibitors so not sure if that would make for better final results.

Here are the images of my tank air blowers, as promised. Very easy to make and they work like a champ. For low pressure only off an LP hose.
View attachment 777061
View attachment 777062
heymikey.jpg

I'll have to get a male thread air chuck and a bit of copper pipe for the future.
I think using the hair dryer wasn't the best idea as it didn't blast the wet surface and dry it fast enough, so rust set in.

This has been a good learning experience. Thanks to all who have chimed in with useful information.

Did you know that Mikey died?
1680368573230.png

@Eric Sedletzky

How do you like my redneck setup? Best I could do on short notice!

20230401_144551.jpg
20230401_144547.jpg

Seems to work pretty well. First blast and a bunch of dust came out.

It's not stupid if it works!

I will work on a better long term solution per your advice.

So went back to the same shop. Rejected for nitrox for the flash rust. Going elsewhere and going to renew my VIP certification.

Speaking of deep tank blowers/dryers, I did something else, with what I think is a bit more flexibility. Air hose attaches to the rig with only a standard shop air quick disconnect. Popoff toggle lets me depressurize if I have something on the other end of the hose.

1680445917031.png

Back
Top Bottom