Deploying SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, how do you wind up the spool when asending? Second, why has the spool generaly replaced reels for this purpose? Thanks!

To wind it up, simply wrap the line in the spool by hand. Spools are easier to store than reels. Assuming you are storing in a dry suit pocket that is.

what ppo2 diver said :)

hold spool by edges in one hand and clip a snap to line to use as a handle to wind line onto spool, using a "stirring the pot" motion
also .. spools sometimes come filled all the way to the top with too much line, I removed 15ft from my 100ft spool ... and I measured how much line is left on there too, or you can be prepared to let go of the spool just in case your "100ft" line runs out at 80

why has the spool generaly replaced reels for this purpose?

Mostly because you just dont' need that much line for a SMB. 100' is way plenty. I'm quite sure mine has less than that on it. I usually shoot it at around 30' or so. There no reason to carry a large 300' reel for this.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom