Depth and Safety Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have hypertension and on ace inhibitors? I do and if I am overexerting myself i get a really strong pain right in the frontal quarter of my head sounds really similar to what you were having.

He said he was diving air. NetDoc, can narcosis cause pain in the forehead?
I don't read that in there... did I just miss it?

He was talking about "tinglies" which could mean a nervous disorder. This concerns me a lot and he needs to look further into this. He should find a diving doctor.

Please be advised that I am not a MEDICAL doctor, but I am a Scuba Instructor.

He was talking about "tinglies" which could mean a nervous disorder. This concerns me a lot and he needs to look further into this. He should find a diving doctor.

Yes. In his first post, he says that he felt his brain was being deprived of oxygen, that he might pass out and that it was quite painful. The pain part of it is what made me think there is something more going on than just getting narced.

luv2diveWPB if you are a member of DAN, you may want to call them and talk with them about it. That is what they are there for.

In the first post it says diving on air when people are using Nitrox they usually say Nitrox even though that is enriched air.

It also says in another post that he(she) was sinking effortlessly to 100 fsw so it appears the problem was on descent while still going down. This sounds like an equalizing problem at least in part. Maybe the descent was too fast only at this stage of the descent. If it's more than that I'd see a doctor as well.

I recently was doing a deep dive and at around 105ft I started feeling a severe pressure build up in the front portion of my brain. It felt as if my brain was being deprived of oxygen while thinking that if I didnt decrease my depth I would pass out. It was quite painful and as soon as I came back above 100ft the pressure slowly decreased. Also I was diving air . Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what happened? It was a little scary to say the least cause passing out at 100ft is a death sentence IMO.

Thanks
a-d

emphasis added by me

Thanks... I must have read that a dozen times and kept reading RIGHT over it! Post number 4 is what made me think that he might be doing something different.

Narcosis is a strange beast. I know of one diver who heard a non-existent alarm. Two divers who did not remember going below 110 feet, though their computers registered 207. I have seen divers panic with the onset as well as one who claimed he felt his foot was on fire. That's the problem: everyone has a different onset and there are quite a few "imagined" pains and sounds that can accompany narcosis. Mix narcosis with a healthy dose of fear and your imagination can have a field day.

In the absence of any medical conditions (and only a qualified physician can figure that out), I would still feel that it was a mix of fear and narcosis. Your mileage may vary.

You missed this.."Also I was diving air."........reread OP's 1st post.......IMO, it's a sinus problem---may be a con't thingy or may not happen again...To the OP, have a check up, give him/her your CC as I'm having this pain(& explain your condition)............GEAUX TIGERS.............

Do you think I can dive deeper or this is my limit even on nitrox?

I don't understand this comment.

Nitrox does not allow you to go deeper. In fact, max depth for nitrox is lower than for air given that nitrox contains a higher percentage of oxygen, hence the PPO2 for nitrox is higher than air for a given depth.

If the above statement is incorrect, someone please correct me.

start rant

Why is it that divers with 50-99 dives and going to > 100 feet fail to understand such basic things as "nitrox does not allow you to go deeper than air"

end rant

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom