Depth averaging tables.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why bother with all that "depth averaging?" It gives a decent gas calculation, but can provide a misleading N2 calculation. In your example, just call it a square profile to 15m for 40 mins. That leaves you with only a small N2 buildup and no real problem for a SI or repetitive dive. Better yet, use your PDC!

That is exactly what I did - used the PDC which worked everything out for me on the fly. Using square profiles means that I get no benefit for the offgassing that would take place going from C-D and D-A where I am going from 15-5m and doing an effective stop at 5m.

While the depths I chose (from one of my own dives) make the dive no problem with regards to NDL, upping the depth to 25m means a decent deco build up (approx 10 mins) using square profiles (based on V-planner). Would be interesting to see a graph of tissue loadings from a petrel or similar for that profile - I suspect a substantial difference between it and the square profile.

Guess the point I was trying to make is that tables are great at what they were created for ie square profile dives but they don't provide all the answers to all issues

Back
Top Bottom