Descended quickly to 35 feet. Can you briefly go to surface then resume planned dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfkral

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are the consequences of taking a trip to the surface near the beginning of a dive?

Scenario: Descend to 35 feet. Discover don't have dive computer on arm. Continue or get the computer?

What should the recreational diver do? (And what should the dive master advise?)

A) Go to the boat, get the computer, and rejoin the group.
B) Continue without the computer.
D) Ascend and wait for _____ amount of time before diving.
C) Ascend and don't dive.

What if the reason to ascend was something else?

Thanks!

Just don't ascend too quickly, and don't get too close to your NDL on the rest of the dive....add the few minutes for your first down/up.

Your buddy should have a computer on if you don't but also, as above.

If I got to 35 and noticed I didn't have my computer on my wrist? I would reach over and unclip it from the d-ring (where I put it between dives so I wouldn't splash without it) and put it on my wrist. :wink:

But more to your point. I would go back and get the computer.

I really like my console. I almost never get to 35 feet before I remember I forgot it.

Scenario: Descend to 35 feet. Discover don't have dive computer on arm. Continue or get the computer?
Signal your buddy, signal group, have the group stay there for 5 minutes looking at pretty fish while you and your buddy ascend and retrieve your computer.

(And what should the dive master advise?)
Advise the group to look for macro marine life or sit still and see what will show up.

+ 1 with Nasser. No buddy check, you have no place under the water :)

It's not the DM's responsibility to do anything. Your screw up, your problem. Use a written checklist setting up and this won't happen. Take your time gearing up and always gear up the same way. I see two choices here, it's a 35ft dive, use your watch and verify depths with buddy and track this dive with tables. Or go get your computer and dive a revised plan of your own. The dm should not be planning yours and your buddy's dive.

Back
Top Bottom