Designing a fail-proof technical snorkel keeper...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think some people have too much time on their hands. How much does the drag of a snorkel keeper really affect anything? I guess I just don't get it.

How much does the drag of a snorkel keeper really affect anything? I guess I just don't get it.

Dude - just how much diving do you do?

I'll check around to see if I can find any NRC or CSIRO studies on drag coefficient vs. air consumption. By some estimates, a properly tuned snorkel keeper, fresh from annual service, can reduce air consumption by as much as 40-44%!

A lot of people use snorkel keepers that haven't been serviced in years. Any LDS should tell you that a snorkel keeper service, while not mandatory, is an investment that more than pays for itself over the space of a few dives. It's a real wonder that most LDS's don't push this service more often.

I just got two snorkel-keepers back from my LDS - the bill for the servicing was $33, but I think it's more than worth the investment. The only pain is how long the turnaround time is - my LDS says a proper service job can take upwards of a week.

After losing several snokels in the surf, I secure my snokel in my fouth point of contact. Takes some geting used to, but I always know where to find it. :upset:

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I just got two snorkel-keepers back from my LDS - the bill for the servicing was $33, but I think it's more than worth the investment. The only pain is how long the turnaround time is - my LDS says a proper service job can take upwards of a week.

The issue is not the labor charges, it's the parts bill that kicks your a$$. I have NEVER gotten a SK annual service without at least a $25 parts charge!:wacko:

I have also retrofitted a couple snorkel keepers using Inlet's research and they make great beer bong holders!

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
LOL :thumb:

I've eliminated the keeper all together by super glueing the snorkel to the side of my head.

Try some Medical grade staples, if you dip them in Tetanis vaccine first, it will save on the cost of a shot later:D

-Crispy

At temperatures near or below 35* F., the Coefficient of friction is amplified due to the linear stress applied to the polymers.
Due to this increased friction, will the Improved snorkel keeper be able to perform in an adequate manner during extended Ice Dives ?:doctor:

kayakgonediving once bubbled...
After losing several snokels in the surf, I secure my snokel in my fouth point of contact. Takes some geting used to, but I always know where to find it. :upset:

So what your saying is that you have your snorkel stowed where if some one told you to blow it out your a** you would indeed be able to accomplish just that.

I just use a little bendy-straw from Dairy Queen myself...doesn't take up too much room at all.

Brilliant, Inlet!

For me, it's a confidence thing. If I'm down deep, I can handle the fact that the majority of my dives are solo, the sharks are friggen out of control this year, and I've got dying fish clipped to a d-ring on my BC. However, an improperly designed or maintained snorkel keeper will just flat get in my head everytime and cause untoward anxiety (thus affecting my SAC, as well).

Diving injuries secondary to poorly designed snorkel keepers have not been given the attention they deserve. I have inside information that the engineering department at Stanford University has received a grant from PADI to properly examine this issue, and resolve it once and for all.

bwerb once bubbled...

So what your saying is that you have your snorkel stowed where if some one told you to blow it out your a** you would indeed be able to accomplish just that.

I just use a little bendy-straw from Dairy Queen myself...doesn't take up too much room at all.

I'm told that's how most start, and sooner or later, the snorkel ends up back there.

Many people tell me to blow it out my a**. I wonder if that is what they mean???

Pony bottles cause signifigantly more drag, has anyone addressed that?

ultimate snorkel keeper. I simply put it in my dive bag before I head under. Seriously that's what I'm tempted to do. It serves a function for about 2% of my dive and then is nothing but trouble as I try to videotape in crannies and crevices.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom