Destin Florida questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
With all the oil mess in the gulf and various shut downs, dispersants, thermocline plumes etc, I am wondering on just how things are lookin g in the Gulf and in particular he Destin area.
We are contemplating a late summer or fall trip and do not know much about the area, operators or conditions in Sept/Oct.
Clearly things can change in a month plus, but any word on status, updates etc would be appreciated.

Things look good. the water is clear and people are diving.

I dove in Panama City this weekend. No oil. no dispersants (sp?)

In Destin, you've pretty much got the choice of two operators. ScubaTech and Emeral Coast Scuba.

I haven't seen any oil in the water, the water looks pretty clear although the sand feels...different on the beach at least.

We're looking at a trip in early October in the Destin area...Can anyone tell me what "typical" conditions might be like? Vis, water temp, chop, availability of operators, etc...?

I'm a science teacher (and a volunteer with a number of science oriented groups) and I would greatly enjoy gathering first-hand data and experiences to relate to my classes concerning the effects (or lack thereof) of the "oil spill crisis" that they've been hearing about for months.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

We're looking at a trip in early October in the Destin area...Can anyone tell me what "typical" conditions might be like? Vis, water temp, chop, availability of operators, etc...?

I'm a science teacher (and a volunteer with a number of science oriented groups) and I would greatly enjoy gathering first-hand data and experiences to relate to my classes concerning the effects (or lack thereof) of the "oil spill crisis" that they've been hearing about for months.

I just discovered your post in the "Basic Scuba Discussions Fourm" and re-discovered this thread ( I had forgotten about posting in it! ). Considering that I am a local, do most of my posting in here, and that you had requested opinions of some of the regulars in the other forum; I'll put my replies over here :D

First, let me say that I do not work for any dive shop or operator, nor do I work in any tourism related business. The following is based on my personal experience, the reports of other divers and my LDS. My "local" diving area lies between Dauphin Island, Al and Panama City Beach, Fl. I will try to give you the most honest report I can.

I did not get in the water between the beginning of June, and the end of July. LOTS of people did, and had excellent dives. In retrospect, I wish I had gone out as much as I could--- especially through June. There were not to many reports of oil from dive trips until July. Even then, they were kind of sporadic. Yes, we had oil wash up on the beaches during that time. Not miles upon miles of pitch black raw crude ( like most people envisioned a la 'Exxon Valdez') but patchy 'ribbons' of heavily weathered, reddish brown 'gunk'. The ribbons and isolated 'mats' were the wost that most places got. Much more common was a spattering of various sized tarballs. These are also the sticky, reddish brown stuff- - just broken down further into millions of pea sized bits. It was common to find them rolling in the surf and hugging the bottom where the waves would wash ashore during July. This was not EVERY beach, nor was it on ANY beach every day. BP had workers virtually everywhere - - hundreds upon hundreds walking the beaches every day with trash bags and stable forks. From a distance it kind of looked like the cleaning of the world's largest kitty litter box.

About a week or so before they choked the flow off to practically nothing, the winds offshore shifted, pushing much of the material in the gulf back towards the west. The result was that we basically stopped seeing 'fresh' weathered tarballs, mats, and ribbons a couple of weeks before the leak was completely stopped. I made my first dive back in the Gulf at St. Andrews state park, Panama City Beach, FL during the First week of August. We had some excellent dives, with no oil on the surface, no tarballs or mats on the beaches, and no bits of tar in the water / on the bottom.

Since then, I have logged 12 dives between Panama City and Gulf Shores, Al. Occasionally, you may see a residual clean up crew (I know they still have one on the gulf side in Ft. Pickens state park near Pensacola Beach, FL. . . . . but they look like they are actually sifting the sand looking for flecks). I have yet to see any tarballs while diving.

HOWEVER, I have had at least one encounter with oil while diving. I did not realize it until I was at home rinsing my gear. It occurred at the Ft. Pickens jetties, last week some time. When I got home, I discovered a couple of tiny bits of weathered crude (like a squished tarball) in the 'tread' section on the underside of my fins. The total amount of material on my fins could have been placed there with about 3 dabs of a Q-tip. It was easy to remove with a little 'Simple Green'. As best as I can determine, I picked it up while standing in the shallows at the beginning / end of the dive. Considering that I could not see any oil on the white sand in this area, I can only assume the bits had been buried by the tides. Wading around in my fins probably dug them up and forced it into the recessed bits on the underside of the foot pocket.

There were some reports of sea life being affected in some areas offshore (an underwater video shown on the local news website comes to mind) during June - July.
In my experience this past month, local populations are near normal levels. I have noticed an almost complete absence of arrow crabs from the Ft. Pickens site - - but that may or may not be related to the extremely cold winter we had.

Local diving conditions:

I don't have a lot of time in the water in October, but I can tell you what we're seeing right now.

Surface temps in the lower 80's. Bottom temps in the 70's range, depending on depth. Viz reports have been pretty good: 20-100' depending on location. (that upper end will be offshore, like on the Oriskany). The operators' schedules are beginning to wind down. Most are slimming down their weekday trips, but all seem to be running every weekend. I am going to try and do an inshore trip out of Destin on Tuesday- - If we get to go, I'll let you know what we find.

Check in the main 'Deep Dixie Diver' forum for multiple reports on local sites- - many with pictures. For example, in THIS THREAD there are surface pics of us at Ft. Pickens ( the location where I got those bits of oil on my fins). Note that those pics were taken right at low tide- - typically much 'greener' and with lower viz than at high tide. Also note that the brown stuff you see on the sand in those pictures is sea grass, not oil.

Hope this is some of the info you're looking for! If there's anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Carl

Last edited:
CDOC and GUBA,

I am a dive charter operator and have been on the water as much as anyone that wasn't working for BP over the summer. I can tell you we suffered, and continue to suffer, more from bad press than we have from oil. Repots have been, unfortunately, sensational and overblown. As suggested above, the effects have been scattered and in most cases, fairly minimal in the AL - FL coastal areas. I am not minimizing the tragedy of this event. It was and will continue to be an issue.
That being said, the pool is open and the diving is great. It has been all summer. As a charter operation we have only two days that we had oil directly impacting our operations. On one day we changed our planned dive site due to visible oil product on the surface at the planned site. We simply diverted to a site less than 5 miles away and were able to dive without problem. On the other day, BP was conducting active skimming in the planned area and closed it temporarily to boat traffic. Again, we diverted to an alternate site, dove without problems and had a great dive day. Dispersants have not been a factor as we have not had large concentrations of oil. I am sure some was used in the area, but no discernable effects.
So, current conditions are surface temps in the 80s, depth temps in the 70s. Still have a distinct and persistent thermocline of 10 degrees or so. Vis has been incredible. We were on nearshore sites, less than 3 miles from shore, with vis over 60 ft. Further offshore, 70+. Of course, it can be variable, so no guarantees. Temps will moderate slightly on the surface going into October, but the depth temps will stay fairly steady.
DocCarl is spot on regarding beach and more widespread effects. We had tarballs and mats. These were typically cleaned up within a day or two, There are reports of oil buried in the sand. Details are still pending, but the effect for the avereage beach goer are minimal. We were blessed with some helpful weather that moved, or prevented the intrusion of some of the product into the area. We continue to be blessed with great natural assets.
Pensacola and Pensacola Beach are great to visit. We have the first Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville Beach Hotel and a host of other accommodation choices. We have restaurants galore and great food to be had. Beyond diving, we have the world's most beautiful beaches, great museums and plenty of other recreational choices. Snapper season will be re-opened on weekends from Oct through late Nov, for the spearfishing inclined. We are seeing big fish and plenty of them. Quality of overall fish life is great.
I hope folks will keep asking questions of the people who can answer them from direct experience and take the opportunity to visit, or re-visit, the Florida Gulf Coast, and the Pensacola area in particular.

GUBA,

I didn't address your question about sea conditions and availability. Sorry.
Sea conditions become dependent on frontal passages through the area. We begin to move into a pattern of two or three days of heavy wind as a front approaches and passes, with direction changing from southerly to northerly and then settling to calm conditions for 3 - 4 days pending the next front. Not as severe as Nov to Feb, but a factor.
Availability shifts to mostly weekends that time of year. If you have enough divers in your group to meet or exceed the minimum for your chosen boat, you can go when you want. Otherwise, weekends fill first, weekdays are iffy. Just a function of demand. The operators work together to accommodate customers, so we try to make sure you are taken care of if we can.
Keep us posted on your concerns and questions as you have them.
Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com
Dr Dive | Facebook

Well, last year, I got out 3 of the 4 weekends in Oct... water temps varied 70 to 80 degrees... given that the bottom has not gotten as warm, expect that to be 77- 68.

It is a time of the year were it is hard to predict.. one can have great weather or terrible weather...so not sure that using last year, or the year before (only got out two weekends) means that much.

It is flounder time...by the way...

Diving the jetties on Sunday morning. Have my OW/Advanced/Nitrox. My buddy has OW and Nitrox, but only 2 of the 5 advanced dives complete (did them with MBT). She is looking to hire a freelance dive master/instructor to finish the last 3 dives. Anybody interested? Email me at kristin.russell@gmail.com if you're up for it.

Back
Top Bottom