Destin Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dove the Hydro Foil or Liberty wreck, but there are folks here who have.

I think it's worth taking your dive gear. in July the water is warm and inviting. You can have great vis.

Don't overlook diving at the Destin Jetties while there. It's one of the best "no cost dives" around. Depths to 55' and lots of small marine life in the rocks. Dive at 'high slack tide' for best conditions. You're likely to see other Scubaboarders there also.

Also consider diving the springs also if you've never done them. Morrison and Vortex are about an hour northeast of Destin and worth driving up to one day. They are 15 minutes apart from each other. Morrison is free but Vortex is a commerical facility ($32/day).

Panama City Jetties (St Andrews State Park) is a great free/no-cost dive also. (though it does cost you $5/car to enter the park, but you get better parking and more facilities also). It's about an hour drive from Destin also.

(just other sites to consider.)

Pick up a copy of Ned DeLoaches "Underwater Guide to Florida" before your trip. It will give you a bunch of insight to diving in the area.

Mike what are the water temps late June early July? and then mid July?....what do you see at the springs? and what is the water temp?.....Thanks, Scott

Travelnsj:
Mike what are the water temps late June early July? and then mid July?....what do you see at the springs? and what is the water temp?.....Thanks, Scott

In June and early July you'll have 85f surface temps with temps at depth ranging most likely from about 75f/78f to 85f (from memory). You'll be able to dive it easily in just a vest or nothing up to a 3mm for deeper dives. I typically dive it in the summer in just a vest or shortie.

The springs have all kinds of freshwater fish and freshwater eels. Morrison and Vortex both have a very nice cavern that is safe to dive in where you can always see the cavern entrance. However, bring a light to that you can see around the room. the water temp in the springs is always at a constant 68f year round as it's all ground feed springs. Both Vortex and Morrison have a flow of about 25 million gallons per day, so the water really never has time to warm up before it flows downstream. Morrison has a lot of trees in the spring basin that have lots of small fish using them for cover. It's a different type of shallow dive in the trees, but lots to see if you want.

Vortex pushes 28mgd and Morrison pushes 32mgd if I recall correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom