Destin Jetties 3/13 or 3/27, YES 2005!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darcy:
What time Saturday at the Destin Jetties? If not, I was thinking of going offshore with Splash if they are sending a boat out Saturday. Not sure how things will work out if these storms keep coming?

We dove PCB jetties last night. It was a good dive, 10-20' vis, lots of squid.
If the weather cooperates, I'll be there about 10:00 to 10:15. High tide is supposed to be 10:47 AM. I hope the thunderstorms pass us by!

Hi, Guys!

Surgery is over and I am back home. I actually came home Tuesday morning, but I have been still getting some strength back since then. I wanted to let you know I am fine, actually doing quite well considering how much I went through. My surgery turned out to be much more complicated than the surgeon expected.

My thyroid gland was not only enlarging, but it was abnormal due to a birth defect. Most thyroid glands have four lobes and are shaped like a bow tie or butterfly. Mine was on solid lobe that was spreading from my chest to under my chin and almost reached to my ears. The left side was trying to grow a lobe and that was the size of a tennis ball! Not only that, but it had pushed the nerves for my larynx deep and to the sides of my neck, the right side was compressing my carotid artery!. The middle of the gland was wrapped around my trachea and attached tightly causing it to be somewhat compressed too. My surgeon is a highly skilled man, because he was able to release the compression, used a laser scalpal to remove it off the trachea and was able to move my laryngeal nerves back where they are supposed to be. He did this without any, I mean zip irritation to my voice. I actually, have more voice than before.
You had not ever heard my voice truly, but over the last 6 yrs it has gotten more raspy.

I am a bit sore still. He really had to manuever my neck, shoulder and upper chest muscles. I asked if he stood on my chest to pull it out. Seriously. The incision he had to make is also about 2x the length he had anticipated, but I love that guy who cares about a silly scar. You know the important thing is he truly saved my life, that thing was going to suffocate me. Horrible thoughts of my airway closing off while diving struck me afterwards, but now that is not going to happen.

I will be back in the water before too long. Have fun diving til I get back there.

Hi everyone , I am just learning to dive but going to pensacola where my son lives and he has just made his first dive . wondering what we need to know about diving the jettis at destin ? any help you can give would be great ! thanks Ray Jackson

Glad to hear everying went OK Cindy, sounds like a scary ordeal that was taken care of by the right Doc's - thank God!

Ray - its an easy dive that is great for beginner divers. The biggest concern is the tides, be sure to dive at high slack tide and you'll be OK. You will be able to get atleast one good long dive in before the tides reverse and really start pulling on you. The beach starts shallow and will eventually work down to around 55'. You'll see all kinds of tropical fish, small game fish, lots of different crabs, fish hiding in the rocks, thousands of sand-dollars, ect.

Hey Cindy, I, too, am glad to hear that you surgery went so well. It's amazing how you can have a doctor, as yours, that cares so much for his patient and takes care of every little detail, such as the scarring, even after he took care of the main issue. So many doctor's out there these days just want to make a quick buck, or could really just care less. Again, glad you are doing so well so soon after. :)

I won't be making it this weekend. The weather is the main reason. I can't risk a 2 1/2 hr drive to be rained out :( Secondly, we're getting last minute guests for the weekend. I forgot that these surprise visits occur when you have a 3 1/2 month old baby :) (of course with an all clear weather outlook, I would of still made the trip).

Sorry :(

Great to hear your news Cindy!!!! Sounds like you had a space invader living in your body. I'm glad you had a good Doc for the job. I hope you recover quickly and can get back to diving soon.

I did get to dive the jetties today - I'll be posting a report in the conch forum soon.

SeaYoda:
I did get to dive the jetties today - I'll be posting a report in the conch forum soon.
I just waded thru 10 pages of posts in anticipation of learning more about the jetties, hoping to read a good report... and the last post confirms that somebody actually made this dive (after planning it 4-5 months ago). After all the build up, you're gonna post a report later?!?! Come on guys, where's the love? Do I have to go back and read about diving in mudholes in Arizona and Ohio?

I'm glad somebody got to dive the site, and I'm looking forward to the report. I need a break from these south FL high viz / loaded with marine life / warm water / good friends dives!

SeaYoda:
You can find the LOVE at the following link - happy cyberdiving!
That's better... glad you missed the lightning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom