Destination Wedding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got married on Cozumel almost 3 years ago... but we did it ourselves and only had 2 guests. It wasn't 'legal', we just said our own vows to each other and when we got back to Colorado turned in the paperwork. As far as they are concerned we got married in good ole' Castle Rock. :wink:

So I won't be much help. But I can tell you having wedding pictures from a beach on the east side is just fantastic. We wouldn't trade our experience for anything.

So wait, and excuse me if I sound naive, but it seems that it's not necessary for it to be "legal"? Can you please elaborate?

Well in Colorado it's legal to marry yourself, i.e. no judge, priest, or other official necessary. You just need a marriage license and two signatures.

So when we got back to Colorado from our Cozumel marriage and honeymoon we turned in the marriage license saying we got married right there in Castle Rock, Colorado. Apparently we had a bit of geographic disparity. Oops!

Of course your state laws may vary but it worked for us. :)

So wait, and excuse me if I sound naive, but it seems that it's not necessary for it to be "legal"? Can you please elaborate?

Some people get married at home with the justice of the peace or with a legal officiant and then do a symbolic ceremony here.

The requirements to marry legally here are not tough - and there's no waiting period as there is in many other destinations - but there is only one judge that can marry you here, so if you're looking for the real deal here - then you need to get the judge booked ASAP. The wedding planners are the best and easiest way to get this done - they also have the judge's calendar so can tell you if your requested date and time slot is available before any further planning is done.

One of my best friends from college got married at the Iberostar north of Playa del Carmen in Feb 2004 (that's what FINALLY got me into diving). I think they have a resort in Cozumel, but you might consider these resorts as well. Then you could escape to Cozumel to another resort for your honeymoon. (My friends went to a couples only resort after the wedding)

Here's what I remember she said about why they picked Iberostar and other topics.

The marriage was legal rather than a symbolic one. I think it was a local judge/justice of the peace who performed the ceremony. They needed 3/4 witnesses who had to be in the country for at least 3-4 days. I was able to serve as a witness but the resort could have provided them.

My friend was very happy with the wedding co-ordinator that she worked with at the time. I know she checked out various places. There were other places where she wasn't happy with the response from the wedding team.

One of the pluses was that in this resort they would only allow one wedding per day rather than 2-3 as other resorts did.

The salon/spa on the property took care of my friend's hair/make-up, etc. She was happy and didn't have any test runs. I am sure you could have brought in others if you had wished.

We had the entire restaurant both on the night before and the wedding dinner (in 2 different ones).

There was a gazebo in the gardens or the beach as the choices for the ceremony. We had a wedding on the beach. Her ceremony was around 17:00. I think you could pick the time but they advised based on the sun/light/color of the water.

The resort was suitable for the range of the guests that attended (singles, married with kids, all age ranges). I think everyone had a great time. I would probably honeymoon somewhere else if you want something more romantic or private (big family focus).

If you want more details or want to contact my friend, PM me and i'll see if my friend would be willing to be in touch with you (she has twins now so a bit hectic in her house).

My wife and I got married on the beach in front of Casa del Mar back in 89 and did it ourselves (actually wifey did). Had the bartender and some other staff stand up with us. I took BillinDenver's route, wifey took care of all the details and I stayed out of the way/made sure the sand and reefs were in shape. We eloped so no one to assist her or get in the way. She did have to send some stuff to the Mexican Consulate in Chicago before we went down, can't remember what or why. The Judge that did the wedding was a nice grandfatherly type. Wedding certificate is in spanish and to this day I'm not sure if I got married or bought some property. If the latter I've never been billed but haven't seen it either....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom