Did a Cruise Ship Dive w/Sand Dollar in Cozumel . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the review!

Me and the wife are going on a cruise in April to Costa Maya, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. We actually have been looking at excursions some this evening.

What cruise line?

We are going on Norwegian out of New Orleans.

We could not find any for Belize , other than beginner scuba. So looking at the others for diving!

We also very new to diving and want to be safe and have a great time.

Since you have enough time before the cruise, I strongly suggest you do some homework and book your own dives with a LDS. We have been doing this for close to 5 years and have never had a problem with the shops we pick. The only bad operations we have dealt with were early in our dive careers with the people the cruise line uses. It really only takes a little time, a few emails and maybe 3-4 phone calls. You will reap enormous benefits over what you will get from the shore excursion desk on the ship.
RichH

wow, I last posted between my January and February cruises this past year.
As I indicated in Feb was going to use Aldora dive in Cozumel, Off the Wall in GC, and Nomad in Costa Maya. and the ship (Anthony's Key) in Roatan
With Aldora in Coz, dives were very good, they used st 120's and we did two 70 min dives.
Off the Wall, in GC, there was only my buddy and a boat driver and guide (they changed jobs between dives), we did the wall for the first dive and the Kittywake for the second.
Costa Maya, the operator was real small, it was the owner/guide, boat driver and me and my buddy. She was good, but as I said very small operation. All the operators seem to use these small (almost) row boats, the reef is only couple of hundred yards off shore.
Anthony's Key thru the ship again very good, but I think I have been to the same sites several times.

BUT:
Going again,
Jan 11, 2014 on Carnival Liberty: again Using Aldora , Off the Wall and the ship excursion in Belize (Parkley) and Roatan (Anthony's Key)
and again
Feb 23 on the Carnival Conquest: same itinery and same operators only in different order.
Mar 21 on NCL Pearl: nothing scheduled yet,

I would highly recommend Jeremy with living-underwater in Cozumel. I dove with him for 5 days over new years this year, and he and the whole crew were amazing. They dive with steel 95's or steel 120's depending on your preference. I understand aldora uses similar equipment, but I did not dive with them. 8 person max on the boat and Jeremy will point out everything from the smallest critter to the big turtles and rays. At the same time he will not be on top of you herding you along. Dive at your own pace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom