did anyone see that ridiculous on the edge show that was on last night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch:
Well, GEEE... can't divers in NZ read???
There are good books on the subject, if nothing else.

Anyone with half a brain knows that you dont learn to dive off the internet or by reading a book. Thats just stupidity in the extreme.

In this day and age yes modern techniques are well known in this country as more and more divers venture overseas to get training, or import instructors for courses.

I think I saw the same one maybe 6 or 8 months ago. Did the guy that died have a bad sinus cold or something? The one I saw glorified a bunch of BS. One mistake after another.

Azza:
I would be interested to see the site that states $600-$800 for all gasses. Could you post a link please? I need to have a chat with those guys if thats the case, might save myself a few dollars.

Greetings and good morning from Atlanta. Here is the New Zealand/Oz link on Trimix training which includes an item about costs:

http://www.diveoz.com.au/feature_articles/read_story.asp?story=2&page=2

"The cost is in excess of $600 plus gas and usually works out to around $1200 to $1400 depending on the dives. Trimix courses usually require four to eight weekends to complete with possibly some mid-week lectures."
As an "internet mathematician" I extrapolated the costs by subtracting the total costs figure of $1200 to $1400 from the class cost of $600 which yields a cost for gases of $600-800. Maybe they're lowballing to attract students who can't decide between golf lessons and Trimix training. Hard to say.

Azza:
I seriously doubt TDI was teaching Trimix in New Zealand in 1994.

You're correct. I misread the site as stating that it had been formed in 1994 in New Zealand, when as you say, it was formed in 1994 globally. I should know that. I took the 'mix course from one of the founders in 1995. I don't know when Trimix training started in New Zealand. However, the "expedition" we're referring to certainly made a conscious decision NOT to use Trimix. They don't refer to whether or not one or more of them has been trained, just that they considered the costs to be too high. I wonder what they think today?

Cost per expedition using Trimix: $5000.00+
Cost per dive NOT using Trimix: One diver's life

That's a tough choice I guess.

Azza:
Oh absolutely I do. I just get pissed off when internet divers bang on about using Helium, and they dont have a clue as to the state of supply or cost in some places in the world. The ones that especially piss me off are the guys who say any dive over 30 metres should be a mix dive. Maybe in Florida where you can get a fill for $40. Absolutely I would be right up there with them...

Internet divers . . . . That's a tough one, that "internet divers" thing. It's a useful attack when there is no other effective course of logic to use in a discussion, but it doesn't further the discussion, it's just insulting and pointlessly so since you don't know the respondents in this discussion or their experience. Are there "internet divers" on this board? I'm sure there are.

Azza:
Do an anonymous poll of mix divers on this board, and ask them if they would ever use air to dive deeper than 30 metres, even if they were in...say... Chukk Lagoon? I bet you a lot of them would do it simply because they aint gunna miss such great diving just because mix isn't available. I bet you not a lot would go to the expense of freighting it over there before the trip either...

Do the poll, but I can tell you that I have been below 30 meters on air. And yes, diving some of the deep wrecks in Chuuk . . . on air. But not to 250 fsw and not solo and obviously, not in very cold water. But let's back way up . . . what did TDI do to train me on 'mix? Well, I found myself sitting on the hood of a Volkswagen at 213' ffw on air doing math . . . in a cold-ish Florida sinkhole. So yeah, I'm guilty too. Had I died during that training it would have been perfectly appropriate for others to have criticized me, but even more so for TDI to be criticized. There have been a number of fatalities here in the states over the last decade involving 'mix and deep air training. CF's beyond belief. This is certainly part of the problem. I don't know the agencies off-hand, and they are evolving just as we are. You are correct in that we live and learn, but let's all try to learn BEFORE we engage in such stupidity.

Azza:
My whole point was that these guys were explorers. They wanted to see where this cave came from and what was down there. This is a natural instinct for most people in this country. It’s how we are brought up. We seem to have this “Number 8 Wire” mentality where if the right tools aren’t available then we will work with what we have. This is what these guys did even though they were clearly not up to the task.

I don't agree. These guys were NOT explorers. There's the famous case in Florida in an article entitled "Beyond Maximum Stupid" in which a "diver" and his non-diver friend decide to "explore" a Florida cave. Between the two of them they had one cylinder, (did they even have a BCD?), one octopus regulator, two sets of fins (I think), and a roll of mono-filament fishing line. The cave in question is a very technical, low, silty system that requires side-mount to penetrate. They were found a few hundred feet in, hog-tied by their own fishing line and wedged into a crack in the cave so tight that it took several dives to get them worked loose. Were these guys "explorers?" Just because someone has a "C" card and the urge to explore does not make them explorers. There is a big difference between those guys and the Pearse folks, granted, but the point is the same. Anyone can call himself an explorer.

And let's talk about judgement: The successful and widely respected cave explorer Rob Palmer died apparently breaking his own rules:

http://www.divernet.com/profs/palmer399.htm

What is it about technical diving that lends itself so much to the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy? I don't know. But these guys weren't explorers, they were a train wreck. They existed within a mindset that lead inevitably to a fatality. Cave diving is dangerous enough, we don't need to make it MORE dangerous than it is. This is what they did. They took an already dangerous, potentially fatal sport and made it definitely fatal. It isn't just the 'mix, it's EVERYTHING. It's their whole approach. Read the description, look at the video. If you can't find at least a dozen serious mistakes, then you're not paying attention. And it only takes one . . . .

Azza:
I have been down this road many a time in my life and it’s only recently I have had an inner struggle with myself to curb that instinct in my diving. Yes I too have made many silly mistakes in my diving because I wanted to go where I didn’t have the tools, or the finances to get the tools, to go.

It’s all to easy for the “cotton wool brigade” to sit back in their nice comfy chairs and slag them off. That’s really what started my rant.

I had to look this one up: "The self righteous opinionated morons will ban everything if they have their way. The cotton wool brigade is what they call them." I actually found this on a pro-cannibis site -- go figger. His point was that if you don't smoke pot, you can't really criticize others who do. I don't know about that -- I guess I can't comment on pot. I do think that it's OK for any diver here to comment on the Pearse "expedition" and for any diver to have an opinion. Not all wisdom comes from veterans. But I also think that the more technical experience and training one has, the more possibly relevant the comment. If you're 'mix trained, then the comments are even more relevant -- one hopes.

Your experience with New Zealand diving and divers does give you a unique insight, but I'm not entirely sure there isn't a bit of nationalistic fervor in your comments. After all the leader was described as one of the best and most experienced Kiwi divers at the time. Is he still active? You recognize that their whole expedition was a CF, but you still want to give them credit for trying. Those who have been tech diving for more than a decade know that we all have done things that we know today weren't smart or safe. So I'll give them one pity-point for having engaged in this project in 1995 and in the diving backwoods of New Zealand.

But that's all. They KNEW. They UNDERSTOOD that air diving was dangerous and especially so in those conditions and they had access to 'mix, but decided NOT to use it -- because of cost. And as has been pointed out, they certainly had access to information on better diving techniques. There is no substitute for training and experience, but armchair'd or not, learning is a good thing no matter how acquired. And it isn't just the 'mix issue, it's everything from solo cave diving to deep air, to attitude. I won't even mention the equipment here. But on a related note, what is it with you Kiwis, Aussies and Brits with your head-mounted lights? I know they LOOK cool, but when you're in a cave and you need to look at your buddy to communicate something, don't you blind one another? ;-)

Finally, our disagreement is over degrees, so I'll leave it at that. I think everyone clearly sees the mistakes in this video and laments the tragic outcome. It is, in the end, a cautionary tale for all tech divers.

All the best,

JoeL

The Dive Bum:
I think I saw the same one maybe 6 or 8 months ago. Did the guy that died have a bad sinus cold or something? The one I saw glorified a bunch of BS. One mistake after another.

It's the same one. I saw it when it aired back then too. I guess I wasn't close to a computer at the time.

JoeL

”Greetings and good morning from Atlanta. Here is the New Zealand/Oz link on Trimix training which includes an item about costs:
http://www.diveoz.com.au/feature_ar...?story=2&page=2

Sorry mate. Huge difference in He prices between Australia and New Zealand. What I can gather from talking to the local gas companies is that He is imported to New Zealand via Australia. So not only are we paying the freight to Australia but we are also paying to import it from Australia as well.

“However, the "expedition" we're referring to certainly made a conscious decision NOT to use Trimix. They don't refer to whether or not one or more of them has been trained, just that they considered the costs to be too high. I wonder what they think today?

Don’t get me wrong I agree with you completely on you on that. What I was trying to point out to some on this thread was that you cannot simply walk into Brownies or EE and flick 40 notes across the counter and walk away with twinset full of mix. This was my intention with my other posts.

”Internet divers . . . . That's a tough one, that "internet divers" thing. It's a useful attack <snip>

It wasn’t intended as an attack at all. As you say “since you don't know the respondents in this discussion or their experience” then I am surmising. How many times have you heard divers on forums simply say to any accident “Oh they shoulda used Trimix” as if it’s the be all end all cure for inexperience, the wrong tools for the job and lack of training? I am sick of hearing that as a BS answer. There are a lot of people on this board with a huge amount of experience and there are even more with the experience of an OW diver doing his final check out dive.

”You are correct in that we live and learn, but let's all try to learn BEFORE we engage in such stupidity”.

I agree. Sometimes however we as human beings have to make mistakes to learn by them. Do I think these guys paid for the ultimate lesson? Yes I do. Do I think it could have been planned and executed far better? Yes I do.

”I don't agree. These guys were NOT explorers”.

So in that case neither were Robert Scott, George Mallory or anyone else who died, or had members of their party die, during their expedition?

“Read the description, look at the video. If you can't find at least a dozen serious mistakes, then you're not paying attention. And it only takes one . . . .”

I haven’t seen the video. I have only what’s written on the NZcavers site to go by. Yes I agree that there are many mistakes, the first being that they had no money and decided to go ahead anyway. This was the fatal mistake that started the chain of events that led to Dave’s death. As you said previously, if you can’t afford it then don’t do it.

”I had to look this one up: "The self righteous opinionated morons will ban everything if they have their way. The cotton wool brigade is what they call them." I actually found this on a pro-cannibis site -- go figger. His point was that if you don't smoke pot, you can't really criticize others who do. I don't know about that -- I guess I can't comment on pot”.

Never knew about that pro cannabis site- so sorry cant go figger(sic). This sounds like an attempt to discredit me by insinuating that I am a drug user. Low blow mate.
I got the expression from those in life that would like everyone to be wrapped up in cotton wool so they don’t get hurt. You know the type, don’t dive, don’t climb mountains, don’t go exploring caves and don’t even walk out your front door because you might get hit by a bus! Well what the hell was the bus driver doing outside his front door?!?!

“I do think that it's OK for any diver here to comment on the Pearse "expedition" and for any diver to have an opinion. Not all wisdom comes from veterans. But I also think that the more technical experience and training one has, the more possibly relevant the comment. If you're 'mix trained, then the comments are even more relevant -- one hopes.”

I agree that any diver can comment. That’s the whole point of these discussion forums. I was trying to point out, to some that commented on the cheapness and widespread availability of Helium, that Helium isn’t always easy to obtain and nor is it always cheap. However my comments got taken way out of context.

”Your experience with New Zealand diving and divers does give you a unique insight, but I'm not entirely sure there isn't a bit of nationalistic fervor in your comments. After all the leader was described as one of the best and most experienced Kiwi divers at the time. Is he still active?”

I had never heard of the guys until the article in NZcaver was pointed out to me a couple of years ago, which I read then forgot about until this thread came up. Divers here in this country, especially cave divers, keep a low profile. The only people that really would have heard of them are cavers. After all the guys are cavers first and a divers second, and I’m sure that’s how they would describe themselves. As far as I am aware Kieran is still active in the caving scene and out there exploring more caves, as for cave diving I wouldn’t know. As I said they keep a low profile.

“You recognize that their whole expedition was a CF, but you still want to give them credit for trying. Those who have been tech diving for more than a decade know that we all have done things that we know today weren't smart or safe. So I'll give them one pity-point for having engaged in this project in 1995 and in the diving backwoods of New Zealand”.

Absolutely I recognize that their expedition was a cluster F. How could I not?
Yes I do give them points for trying. I will give ANYBODY points for trying. It’s far better to be out there trying than sitting at home wrapped up in cotton wool complaining that getting up from the armchair is too dangerous. If no one ever tried anything the human race would probably still be living in the caves or jungles. Heck we probably wouldn’t even be walking upright.

"Just remember, the only people not making mistakes are those who aren't doing anything."

”But that's all. They KNEW. They UNDERSTOOD that air diving was dangerous and especially so in those conditions”

No disagreement here.

“and they had access to 'mix, but decided NOT to use it -- because of cost”

Did they though? I haven’t seen the video so I’m not sure but did they ACTUALLY have access to mix or had they just heard about it?

And as has been pointed out, they certainly had access to information on better diving techniques. There is no substitute for training and experience, but armchair'd or not, learning is a good thing no matter how acquired. And it isn't just the 'mix issue, it's everything from solo cave diving to deep air, to attitude. I won't even mention the equipment here”.

Well I have to say that most books I have read about cave diving back in that time seem to glorify the old deep air records and other such foolishness. I have to say however that “Blueprint for survival” was a good read and should have been read by them

“But on a related note, what is it with you Kiwis, Aussies and Brits with your head-mounted lights? I know they LOOK cool, but when you're in a cave and you need to look at your buddy to communicate something, don't you blind one another? ;-)”

Dude, I dunno. When I see a diver with Christmas decorations all over them I run a mile the other way. It’s certainly not a common occurrence over here but thinking outside the square I would have to say that it is something to do with them being dry cavers and the fact that most of the wet caves they had explored were sumps with huge amounts of dry passage. Still doesn’t make it right tho…

”Finally, our disagreement is over degrees, so I'll leave it at that. I think everyone clearly sees the mistakes in this video and laments the tragic outcome. It is, in the end, a cautionary tale for all tech divers”.

Agreed.

Regards
Aaron

One thing I would like to add.

“reckless group who did nothing more then kill one of their friends with ignorance”
“glorify these clowns”
“The general point here is what these guys did was retarded”.
“dumb to the core”

These kinds of statements are counter productive and this is another trigger that got my back up. Pete posted his account of the expedition so that others may learn from his mistakes. Turning around and firing off statements like these just make other people reading them decide that they will not share their mistakes. Back in the 60’s, 70’s and probably the 80’s and 90’s, divers did not share their mistakes with other divers for fear of this kind of BS. This meant that other divers couldn’t learn from someone else’s hard lesson. You Floridian cave divers will know well how many divers died in Floridian caves during the early days and will know how many valuable lessons you probably took away from others mistakes, either directly and indirectly.

Let’s cut the crap. If you want to analyze the incident then go for it, just try to be sensible about it so that we in turn don’t scare off others from sharing hard learnt lessons with us.

This thread isn't an accident analysis, it's a critique of a stupid show.

pants!:
This thread isn't an accident analysis, it's a critique of a stupid show.
Maybe thats how it started...

Props to JoeL and to Azza! Debating and discussing this was very interesting to read. The links posted were helpful in understanding what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom