did anyone see that ridiculous on the edge show that was on last night?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The manuals tell you whats the sanctioning body would like it to. Same with their specific tables. They sell hazzards as absoloutes so u cant sue them.

Does anyone have the Deep air Waa Waas article ? I htink i have a copy in FL.

I agree with the above posted. odd how they glorified the divers on air deep diving in a cave and skimmed over the pro team that came in with trimix and banged out their jumps in a couple days. The general point here is what theese guys did was retarded. If they did it on trimix they would all be alive and they would have been with in the recreational limits of the gas. Heck guys makes jumps way deeper then that all the time on trimix. The doria is that deep. The show should have been titled stupid things you shouldnt do while diving. Also their plan was completely flawed as they planned on diving a massive un charted overhead enviorment at almost double the reccomended depth for their gas. Im sorry but purposly narcing yourself and entering the range of CNS ox tox for no reason is just dumb to the core

The Natural:
I remember it used to be pretty expensive but hasn't the price gone down?

No. Trimix remains prohibitively expensive to buy (and is why it isnt more mainstream) and if anything the price is going UP.

hudson_hawk:
im a new diver
i also seen the show last night
when i heard 250 foot dive on reg air i thought wow there luck all 3 didnt die
i was taught that the max deepth for air was 140 ft
im new so if im wrong /im wrong
im going to re read my manule tonite
297' max on air was the Navy standard for a lot of years. I don't know what it is now. We had to make at least one to 300' in training along with a tox dive on 100% O2 for 30 minutes. Safe maybe not but we knew our limits. Once your there the other depths seem kind of easy. Safe for the sport diver absolutely not in any way shape or form. Even today we train deeper than we work. It's all a frame of mind thing.

By today’s standards no divers over the age of 50 should be alive to share what we did. The tighter restrictions have just made the sport a lot safer for the AVERAGE person.

Take getting bent for example. One person might be able to get away with exceeding the limits time after time and never get a hit where another is still way within the limits and get hit. Not only does your body make up have a lot to do with it but something that is and isn't covered much is your diet.

Gary D.

String:
No. Trimix remains prohibitively expensive to buy (and is why it isnt more mainstream) and if anything the price is going UP.

I will say yes, trimix is expensive. But giving the dives they were doing, and the fact the recovery team came in with mix, its hard to justify the dives they were doing as ok without mix. I didn't say they shouldn't have done them just that it should not be advocated as good practive.

That said, they were certified cave divers, expierenced and made the judgement call themselves. They and their families must live with those decisions just as our families must live with our decisions. We each decide the risk we are willing to take.

String:

I don't care how expensive it is. If it could mean the difference between life and death then how can you not afford to buy it?

I think I read where this expedition was done in 1995. I missed the initial broadcast last night, but I tried to watch the rebroadcast later -- until I fell asleep. I remember one of the divers had been ill and had only done 4 dives before going on this last deep dive. Was he the one that succumbed?

robbcayman:
I don't care how expensive it is. If it could mean the difference between life and death then how can you not afford to buy it?

Quite simply for a lot of people they have the choice of doing the dive on air or not doing it at all. ITs a judgement call just how much risk you're prepared to take.

A lot of deep air stuff is still done purely because the gas costs mean that it couldnt be done at all without air.

Everyone doing it has to make their own call about how much risk theyre prepared to take.

I do find it odd that such a detailed expedition with the logistics needed etc couldnt afford the gas though.

ScubaTexan:
I think I read where this expedition was done in 1995. I missed the initial broadcast last night, but I tried to watch the rebroadcast later -- until I fell asleep. I remember one of the divers had been ill and had only done 4 dives before going on this last deep dive. Was he the one that succumbed?
IIRC, yes.

String:
Quite simply for a lot of people they have the choice of doing the dive on air or not doing it at all. ITs a judgement call just how much risk you're prepared to take.

A lot of deep air stuff is still done purely because the gas costs mean that it couldnt be done at all without air.

Everyone doing it has to make their own call about how much risk theyre prepared to take.

I do find it odd that such a detailed expedition with the logistics needed etc couldnt afford the gas though.

I agree completely with your last paragraph, even if Trimix were to cost $400 per tank, compared to the cost of a trip of this magnitute, renting a helo, the time, the risk, it would be cheap.

It seems as if they deliberately tried to make the dive as dangerous as possible.

Xanthro:
I agree completely with your last paragraph, even if Trimix were to cost $400 per tank, compared to the cost of a trip of this magnitute, renting a helo, the time, the risk, it would be cheap.

It seems as if they deliberately tried to make the dive as dangerous as possible.
Trimix should be around $.30-$.50 a cubic foot. That is not that expensive at all when safety is the issue.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom