Did I do Right AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be rather irked if this happened to me. I teach AOW and require that students do an offshore dive prior to getting a card. I dive NC a couple times a month, so it's usually no issue for someone to complete their AOW. It's usually the student that won't commit to a set of dates therefore I fill the boat without them.

I think this shop you speak of needs to get their crap together in more ways than one...first of all, they should have been able to get his AOW done completely in the amount of dives he has done. The fact that they hadn't completed the Nav and pool session but had time to double up deep and drift makes me think they just want to run up your charter bill and get every cent out of you. Then by certifying him on paper prior to him completing the "requirements" of the course, they are violating standards. On top of that, regardless of the loss of instructors, as a buisinesman, the owner should have found a way to get your boy in the water with an instructor that could finish his course...even if it means taking a small hit in the pocket.

For the benefit of the op and all shop owners and instructors, please know that not all shops are like this. I m affiliated with a very busy shop that in fact has over 20 certified instructors. Only a couple work full time at the shop. We also have an affiliated course director, by the way. All classes, both classroom and pool and open water weekends, are schedule at least a full year out. We staff according to enrollment. 1 instructor for every advanced open water class, with a dm or assistant instructor if there are 5 or more. Same ratio for rescue classes. Open waters is 1 instructor a dm per 8 students, Sometime we keep the ratio lower, and must do so if there are juniors in the weekend enrollment. In the 14 years I have been affiliated with them, we have not cancelled a class., either pool or open water. If you sign up and show up you will get dives done. About shop should be a shop that has lots of class options and lots of available instructional staff. This summer we have had an open water weekend every other week. In years past it has been monthly. We have added them when demand requires. We also inquire if the student has an upcoming trip planned and will often create an additional training weekend to accommodate them, if an instructor commits. People complain about the "business" of scuba, but I glad to affiliate with business that runs like a business: reliable, competent, and customer oriented. Underwater Phantaseas of Lakewood, Colorado.
PD I am writing halfway through our current training weekend: 24 open water students, 5 rescue students, 1 specialty. Staffing: 4 instructors, one AI, 4 DM's. Largest group in one class is 7. I am tired, but will show up tomorrow to serve our customers, who have scheduled and relied on us to provide them the opportunity to complete their current certification. Students and their families should tolerate no less.
DivemasterDennis

I don't know whether your son worked with one instructor or many, but if the former, you might want to reflect on what it would do to that person if your son were, for example, to get lost because of poor navigation skills, and get hurt or killed.

It also strikes me that it's a dubious lesson your son is learning, that you don't have to finish something if somebody makes a mistake and gives you a pass on it.

I do feel your frustration with the time frame. Scheduling staff for classes can be very difficult, as people commit to one day and then decide they can't do it and want a change, or instructor or staff's circumstances change. We try very hard to keep our classes on track, but honestly, it can be close to impossible.

Thank you for the feedback. As a former Marine, and single parent, trust me son does not get the easy way out. As I mentioned in my Rant, I have asked the shop to finish, on my schedule not theirs.

My DiveMaster Friend is also my Sons High School Engineering teacher. He has offered to Teach my some the navigation skills on our next trip.

Their Scheduling issues never made since to me. My Son was on summer break, he has a license and a convertible, when does he not want to go somewhere. As stated he was at the LDS shop helping one instructor with the Kids in the OW class at least 10 times, and once at their check out dive. No reason he could not have gone to the lake/grotto and done the NAV dives with the OW students, or done his AOW Pool Skills somewhere in all that.

The fact that they hadn't completed the Nav and pool session but had time to double up deep and drift makes me think they just want to run up your charter bill and get every cent out of you. .

I do not think that was the case. We never had to pay for his Nitrox Fills, or his trips to Hudson and Blue Grotto. We did pay for the 2 trips in West Palm Beach, but I paid those shops directly. Actually one of the West Palm trips was also my Daughters Check out for OW with another instructor.

I guess this is why I let things go so long, I truly thought they where being fair. It wasn't until I heard about dozens of OW students and at least one AOW classes being certified in days and weeks that I got pissed. I know the Owner is in Key Largo this weekend doing more check out dives, again not invited.

I really was/am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, hence why I am looking for validation here I guess.

While I am on this note, Hudson Grotto to 105 feet for his Low Visibility? Seriously what the heck. That is still the most intimidating dive I have ever done. Place is creepy.

Sorry you had bad luck! I ran into the same kind of customer service issues back when I played tournament paintball for about ten years, and same with most gun shops and other associated companies in the firearms industry too. I don't understand it. People not responding to my emails, phone calls, or other messages in a timely manner really aggravates me, but thankfully I haven't had much of that with the two dive shops I regularly go to.

When I did my PADI Open Water, I signed up for the class and got the books/DVD while it was on sale for the home study portion and then called and scheduled my pool and OW sessions in the same weekend. They did re-schedule or cancel a few dives afterward that I called and tried to sign up for, but it was due to lack of divers signing up, which was out of their control.

It sounds like you gave them ample time. Regardless if they had enough students, once they started him, he should have been completed in 2 weeks or less. If they did not have enough students, they should never had started him. That's their responsibility not yours, sometimes you have to suck it up.

Back
Top Bottom