Did I do the right thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffreyd:
Still at 15' at the entrance to the cavern.
I had about 1000psi(al80)

They didn't say anything about it when we saw them by the tables.

at 15', you were right, don't ever put yourself at risk to fix a tank strap..

mossym:
at 15', you were right, don't ever put yourself at risk to fix a tank strap..

Right, I stopped them before we got under an overhead, but had they gotten inside I would have not followed.

I would have helped out too because you might have just saved the guys' life .... having problems durning a "cave dive" can get serious ... what would have happed if the tank completely fell out pulling his 2nd stage out of his mouth. Good thing you were there ...... if i was that guy I buy you a couple of beers after the dive to say thanks .......

The only thing I might have done different is to get the buddies attention and firmly point to the dangling tank on his buddies back. Then, I would have let them work it out for themselves, intervening only if necessary.

Fixing a loose tank is a BOW skill. Sounds like you done good!

Good job. You didn't dive past your limits, you had enough gas, & you helpd prevent a potential crisis.

If the diver freaked when you tugged his/her fin, I agree- they don't belong in the water. As a note, I use a sub alert- one squawk only- for attention. Mostly because I'm small & can't get someone's (like a student or fellow spearfisher who just happens to be holding the stringer- we partner up) attention. With that, you're not in a position to get grabbed by a panicked diver. Be careful with the squawker, though, if you decide to try one. Overuse does not make for friendly fellow divers :)

You did the right thing as later it could/would have caused more trouble. The best way I found whilst doing my DM was to wet the strap first, this solved the possibility of that happening.
It's nice to see that OW divers are just as alert as others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom