Did I get a BARE wetsuit lemon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoastalTradition

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Let me first start by saying I know I could have gone the custom suit route, but up until now I have been very satisfied with my Bare products. I own several pairs of gloves as well as the farmer John to the step in jacket in question

I'm 6' tall, athletic build, roughly 210 lbs. I have a farmer John in a size XL that fits pretty darn good in all the right areas. The step in jacket just arrived tody, and everywhere fits great, except the part you'd probably figure would be the least of my worries......the forearms!

Coming from a football pedigree, my forearms are more toward the large then small side of the spectrum. Which leads me to believe that I have a lemon. Who could this possibly have been made for? Is Popeye an avid diver and I don't know it? Then again he is a navy man. :rofl3:

Has anyone had any issues with this? I'm torn whether or not I should return it for a large or if I just got a bad suit and I should just exchange for another. Has anyone had experiences with this in off the rack suits? The picture really doesn't do it justice. They are pretty baggy in the forearms.

6a17eb9c.jpg

Thanks!

eat more spinach.

Seriously though, it does look strangely loose given it should be tapering as it goes down toward your wrist. Did you ask BARE? that's what I'd do. Good luck and please update I'm interested in their response. Cheers.

Agree with buddhasummmer - show the picture to BARE or someone at the place you bought it and see what they say.

Between my wife and I we have 4 BARE wetsuits, and none have baggy arms like that.

James

I did some measuring. If I flatten it out, at the wrist it is 4", and then about 5" up from the wrist (the forearm area) jumps up to a shade over 6" at the widest part. This seems crazy to me.

I called Bare on Thursday, and just heard back from them today, they requested measurements. I bought it from Leisure Pro, and they said I can swap it out no questions asked, but I obviously wanted to make sure it was first an error in this wetsuit alone, and not in the model entirely. It's just disappointing, since I already have the Farmer John part of it, and I'm leaving for PCB, Florida on Wednesday. Oh well, can always rent I guess.

I've not been as happy with the recent Bare suits. The Bare Artic of a few years back was an awesome suit, but friends that have the new 8/7 semidry have had issues with zippers and stitching (though the suit is very warm). I've noticed from trying on the sports model that the cut seems different than a couple of years ago when compared to my artic which is wearing wearing out from much use and becoming a summer only suit. I have the Henderson 8/7 semidry. With that suit I notice that the entire forearm is a bit snug and maybe not quite as warm as the Bare (doesn't have the drysuit style zipper), but is is holding up well.

Last edited:
So BARE says their quality control department checked into it and this matches theirs. This makes no sense to me.

So I contacted Leisure Pro (where I bought it.) Hopefully they will be more receptive. Otherwise I really dont know what
to do outside of having it tailored. And I havent seen any neoprene tailors listed in my yellow pages (Columbia, SC or Panama City Beach, FL)

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

Heres the reponse from BARE

"Josh
QC and design have confirmed that the graded pattern and stock matches your jacket. There is no point in sending another one as will be the same.
We use these jackets in mainly rental programs and have never had a complaint. Perhaps you should do the dive and see how it works, only a suggestion."

So BARE says their quality control department checked into it and this matches theirs. This makes no sense to me.

So I contacted Leisure Pro (where I bought it.) Hopefully they will be more receptive. Otherwise I really dont know what
to do outside of having it tailored. And I havent seen any neoprene tailors listed in my yellow pages (Columbia, SC or Panama City Beach, FL)

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

Heres the reponse from BARE

"Josh
QC and design have confirmed that the graded pattern and stock matches your jacket. There is no point in sending another one as will be the same.
We use these jackets in mainly rental programs and have never had a complaint. Perhaps you should do the dive and see how it works, only a suggestion."

and if you dive it, will Leisure Pro take it back? Looks odd to me. Maybe what Bare meant to say is "all of our stock is made oddly like yours":D

I thought that was a picture of your calf at first. I wouldn't be happy with Bare's response. I've ordered some gloves from them, I hope I have the same type of problem.

I thought that was a picture of your calf at first. I wouldn't be happy with Bare's response. I've ordered some gloves from them, I hope I have the same type of problem.

The sad thing is that I've been exceptionally pleased with every other Bare product I own. I have the 2 pairs of gloves, a hood, and the farmer John part of this suit (which is sold separately). This is the only issue I've had, and its sad that they either have the suit cut this way, or that they are sweeping this under the rug.

Hopefully Leisure Pro will own up and see that there actually is an error here.

I'd at least try a Large - based on Bare's size charts looks like you might fit into it better anyway. Leisurepro should have no problem taking it back or exchanging sizes under their "perfect fit" guarantee as long as you haven't used it. They are closed next week for Passover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom