Difference between mens and womens BCs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the womens BC's I carry in the store the biggest difference is in the way the shoulder straps angle across the chest. I the men's BC they come staight down from the top over the shoulder to the bottom attachment point. In the women's the chest strap is at more of an angle.

Lot's of women wear men's BCs with no problem though, the transpac seems to fit men and women very well.

Brent

In addition to the Zena there is the Seaquest Diva models with the "Sports Bra" construction as they call them. In addition to be proportioned as mentioned above there are soft compliant panels that cover the breasts and for a well endowed lady really help lock the thing in place. My Wife has the DivaLX and after trying a bunch that one was the magic slipper. I have used it with no permanent side effects.

I will add that there are plenty of ladies that are perfectly content and some even prefer mens models. It's all about fit and the human form is diverse.

A decade a go the bright pinks were a real big thing (check eBay) now there are sometimes some discrete muted panels of color but they don't usually scream I'm a female! A few like Tusa and Mares are coming back with ladies gear with pink accents but they are more conservatively adorned.

Pete

Where typically should a bc come down to relative to the waist?

In general, IMO, the BC should not ride so low as to interfere with the weight belt. Women are usually shorter-waisted than men so the women's BC's try to deal with that by being shorter.

I haven't had a chance to try a women's specific BC, but I really like my men's small with the shoulder adjusters cranked all the way down. I'm well-endowed and shorter than average and I don't have any problem with straps constricting me or the thing riding too low. I do go for women's cut wetsuits, though... I just can't breath properly in a men's due to lack of chest space.

--Shannon

My chest size may coincide with a man's, but the inches are distributed differently. The waist size in some women is disproportional with a man who has the same "chest" size, so the placement of the straps DOES make a difference. I don't need a strap that causes my boobs to redistribute themselves under my armpits......I prefer the bladder in my BCD to take care of that, thank you. But, as others have mentioned, it depends on your build on comfort! That's all that should matter. Me.....I need a woman's BC, but that's my personal comfort preference.

Back
Top Bottom