Women and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I remember having read relatively recently (in the last three years or so, after I resumed SCUBA diving after a 20-year interruption), that women were more susceptible to DCS than men and that the difference seemed rooted in two causes: difference of body type and an influence of the hormonal cycle. Could someone point me to a summary of the current consensus on the subject and may be sources understandable by someone who is curious about the matter but hasn't a background in biology and physiology?

Hi @JMarc ,

You may be thinking of this study, but it only looked at the phase of the menstrual cycle so there's no comparison with male subjects:

Page 17 of this analysis has a nice review of the literature as of the publication date (2004).

A 2003 study that suggests a higher prevalence of DCS in men vs. women:

A study on susceptibility to altitude DCS which found no gender-related differences in prevalence but higher rates of venous gas emboli (silent bubbles) in men:

This from DAN USA:

Best regards,
DDM

You may be thinking of this study

Most probably not. It wasn't a primary source, more a synthesis document targeted at a wider audience. It was perhaps the source of the document I read.

A 2003 study that suggests a higher prevalence of DCS in men vs. women:

That doesn't correspond to my memory which had the inverse relative prevalence. That's a motivation to look harder for the document to see if I misremembered, and if not if they gave any source for their affirmation.

Thanks for the additions to my reading list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom