differences in types of Oxygen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danw2002

Contributor
Reaction score
what differences are there between Oxygen? there is Medical grade, aviation grade and then i can go to the welding supply and get 'welding' grade. what up with all that? :confused: :bonk: :bonk:

is actually "better" than medical!

ABO must be dryer, because it is more succeptable to freezing in the unpressurized cockpit of a plane. For medical grade you may need a 'script in some states and locales. I've heard of people using welding grade, but I wouldn't - odds are its fine given that impurities in welding causes bad welds, but....

They all start out from the same LOX.

ABO is probably most commonly used by people mixing Nitrox and Trimix, because its the easiest to obtain without hassles and is intended for breathing purposes.

thanks, that is a start, i am only looking at the safety and purity aspect of the equation, not so much avalibilty/forms(for med grade) needed to get one or the other. anybody personaly used welding Oxygen to breathe? are you still alive and breathing.....:eek: (yea,yea i know, if you where not you could not respond to this...)

I have used welding grade for mixing and stright 100% but dont plan on using it this summer when I start mixing all my gas. The price diffrence between ABO and welding O2 is so small its not worth it. Its the price of pece of mind.

Page 16-11 of the 4th edition of the NOAA Dive Manual saysABO, Industrial & Medical grades all OK for diving.

I've used both ABO and Industrial for 3 + years. No Problem.

Dave D

handles the cylinders prior to filling.

Welding grade fills may be done on cylinders that are not "vacuumed". Meaning that existing gas in the bottle is not evacuated and may contain impurities.

Aviation and medical grade filled bottles must be handled differently.

C_C

C_C once bubbled...
handles the cylinders prior to filling.

Welding grade fills may be done on cylinders that are not "vacuumed". Meaning that existing gas in the bottle is not evacuated and may contain impurities.

Aviation and medical grade filled bottles must be handled differently.

C_C

This is true. However, if you ask for the gauranteed specifications on the gas they are the same for med and industrial.

Dave D

I am sure all gas suppliers are different same as LDS are different but at the Gas Supplier I use they tell me when O2 [welding ] bottles come back if there is still O2 in the tank they assume it to still be OK but if the tank is empty it is pressured slightly with O2 then tested for impurities then either cleaned or filled depending on what was in it .Same as with scuba tanks if you leave 500 PSI
in it you wont likely get moisture in it but if it is completely empty there is a chance of something getting in.
Joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom