Different level divers seeking advice for 28 days on and around Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would second the option of the Gili's, especially if you're in for lots of diving, the dive sites are at the most 20 minutes away.
My vote also goes to Gili Air and try Oceans 5, located directly at the harbor. The diving is better than described, you will find turtles on many dives and for the two more experienced dives, sharks are also likely.
Enjoy, there is some good advice here, you just have to be able to spot it.

Thank you very much everybody. A lot of useful (but also very different) answers. A lot to think about :).

I think we would rather stay close to the dive sites instead and f.ex. dive Nusa Penida with a dive shop from Lembongan rather than one from Sanur, or dive The Liberty Wreck with a dive shop from Tulamben instead of one placed in Padangbai. We think this will give us bette access and f.ex. we can dive the Liberty Wreck early in the morning before it gets too crowded. We also thought this would make it cheaper, as less ressources was used on transport to and from the dive site. But from what ocdiver1 says:
I'd also stay in Denpasar (Kuta, etc.), instead of Lembongan. You'll have far more accommodation and dining options to keep costs down, as well as far more dive operators to choose from to probably get the best price on his course, and of course you'll be able to experience all the nightlife, which of course you wouldn't get if you were out on Lembongan

It seems that it would be cheaper to dive the different areas from the same dive shop. What is peoples impression of this?

Does anybody have recommendations for good dive shops which are not too expensive (though we don't want to compromise our safety, just to have a cheaper dive)?

Does people know how many days in advance you need to book acommodation on the Gilis to get a proper place? Do you also need to book in advance on Bali or is it possible to arrive in the cities and then find some acommodation? I have heard that some of the budget acommodation don't have websites.

Thank you very much
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan. Actually, that's not what I meant. I was only talking about staying in Denpasar while diving Nusa Penida/Lembongan. You only save some time on a boat ride by staying on NL rather than greater DPS, but you close the door on a much wider ranger of accommodation, dining, and al the nightlife in Kuta/Seminyak etc. if you stay out there. Personally, since most shops pick up/drop you off for free I'd rather have a 20 minute longer boat ride and just stay in town rather than on NL. Do definitely dive NP...mola mola season with mantas at Manta Point I would say would it would be the number #1 "cant miss" highlight for when and where you are going. Contrary to what another poster stated, if your friend did his open water, he of course would not be learning in the sometimes strong currents out there, but in areas appropriate for doing OW. For example, the operator I always dive with, Blue Season Bali, does their open water at protected sites at Sanur while running trips out to NL and NP. This is why I was suggesting him doing his open water right off the bat while you and your other friend are out at NP...it's not something he would not be capable of doing and that way you guys won't miss out..then the rest of the trip you can dive together as there is no other spot you are talking about that a beginner diver couldn't also dive.

For Tulamben you absolutely want to stay out there..both to catch the bumpheads first thing in am and hopefully miss the crowds, as well as to avoid the miserable traffic coming out from DPS. Do also consider Sulawesi...more a 4 hour flight than 2 hour than other suggested...28 days would be too much for just Bali and the Gilis, and you have 3 varied and top dive destinations within a short distance from Manado. I know money is an issue, but it'd be a shame to go all the way to Indonesia and just hit one general area.

I would advice you to stay on Nusa Lembongan instead of Denpasar / Kuta/ Sanur. The Denpasar area is really crowded and I found it annoying. Nusa Lembongan has a more relaxed atmosphere. You can also rent a scooter to go around the island and you can get surfing lessons as well, so enough to do except for diving. There is plenty of small scale accommodation on the island and the inhabitants are real friendly folks.
We dived with Lembongan Dive Center Lembongan Dive Center, which we really appreciated. Ask for Moyo, he is a really good divemaster and instructor.
We actually liked Padangbai as a place to stay, relaxed backpackers atmosphere, good restaurants and friendly people and a really nice beach (hidden beach). Did not dive there because of an ear infection.

---------- Post Merged at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:04 PM ----------

And if you decide to go for Sulawesi check out http://www.bunakenseagardenresort.com to stay (tasty meals, nice bungalows, good atmosphere, friendly owner, good price) and http://www.livingcoloursdiving.fi for diving!

---------- Post Merged at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:04 PM ----------

And if you decide to go for Sulawesi check out http://www.bunakenseagardenresort.com to stay (tasty meals, nice bungalows, good atmosphere, friendly owner, good price) and http://www.livingcoloursdiving.fi for diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom