Difficulty equalizing with AGA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jawbone

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a AGA mask. I've been adjusting the nose block for sometime but I'm still having trouble getting it right so I can equalize. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help? I've heard of people changing out the nose block for a Kirby Morgan nose block. Is this block easier to equalize with? Thanks in advance for any help. Jason

I've got mine adjusted all the way out and have to push pretty hard for it to reach my nose but it reaches just fine.

Have you tried positioning the nose cup higher on your face?

I quite trying to use the nose block, it never felt natural and it seemed like I had to blow too hard to get enough back pressure to equalize and if I accidentally fully sealed the nostril I would be blowing too hard.
Instead I just yawn. I open my mouth wide and inhale deep like I'm yawning, the stretching of your jaw helps open the eustachian tubes and the large breath increases the air pressure in your mouth slightly. I have no problems equalizing by yawning.
Just something to try.

strider:
Instead I just yawn. I open my mouth wide and inhale deep like I'm yawning, the stretching of your jaw helps open the eustachian tubes and the large breath increases the air pressure in your mouth slightly. I have no problems equalizing by yawning.
Just something to try.

I'm taking classes right now and have a question about what you just said.

How do you open you mouth wide and inhale deep underwater?

Rev. Pigpen:
I'm taking classes right now and have a question about what you just said.

How do you open you mouth wide and inhale deep underwater?

Easy when you are wearing a Full Face Mask like the AGA.

I rarely need to block my nose when using a FFM or helmet. This is really hand when I need both hands for the job I am being paid to get done.

Jawbone:
I've recently purchased a AGA mask. I've been adjusting the nose block for sometime but I'm still having trouble getting it right so I can equalize. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help? I've heard of people changing out the nose block for a Kirby Morgan nose block. Is this block easier to equalize with? Thanks in advance for any help. Jason

Hey Jason,

Try pushing in directly on the little tab at the top of the communications or communications blanking plate, it is kind of weird at first clearing with any helmet or mask since most of us are used to being able to completely seal our nose for a valsalve and with a nose clearing device you normally only get partial resistance so need to exhale slightly more forcefully.

The Kirby Morgan block is very similar to the AGA block, I have nevewr needed to switch one out for myself or any students.

Hope you get it down comfortably,

Jeff Lane

Back
Top Bottom