Digital Lens Dock review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've had my Digital Lens Dock for a few days and have spent several dry hours playing with it. I was impressed with it as soon as it was unpacked. Lightweight yet sturdy, with a very simple design. It fits on the top of my PT-10 case and although the wide angle lense itself is quite large, it's not in the way.

There is a thumbscrew that opens and closes the DLD, "pinching" the lens securely vs. snapping in or screwing in as with other caddies. Any lens 67mm lens will fit. You can place and remove the lense from the dock with one hand with a little practice.

It also comes with the Save-A-Lens cable system which prevents losing the lens in case it is dropped. As Martha Stewart says...this is a good thing! I'm used to using a Save-A-Lens kit on my previous two camera systems and I really am uncomfortable with the thought of changing lenses underwater without it, so I was very happy to see it included in the DLD design.

I still need to take it underwater but I'm sure nothing is going to change my mind! I would have waited until I got it wet to give you a review but I wanted everyone to have a chance to get one for Christmas! Everyone can always use another stocking stuffer!

Enjoy....I intend to! :wink:

Hi,

A great and simple idea, but, by the time it gets to Australia it would cost around AUS$85/90 due to currency exchange and postage. Plus there may even be import duty and sales tax!
Regards, Walt Deas

Walt,

We have a dealer in Australia who hasn't picked up the DLD yet. I'll email him immediately to see what pricing would be. Your comments about freight, import duties, etc are correct, but if a dealer receives a quantity shipment at least the shipping would be spread out over the quantity ordered. It may be that they could still offer them at a reasonable price. No doubt it would be more than the USD$ 39.95 they sell for here, but it still should be insignificant compared to the replacement cost of a lens.

I'll post what I find out as soon as I hear back from them.

Dee, thank you for your kind words.

I just returned from a trip to French Polynesia where I had the pleasure to use my new lens dock. I mounted the dock on my strobe arm, where it was handy to access the wide angle lens. Not only was it handy, it was indespensible. I could change to my wide angle as needed and never worried about dropping, losing or banging the lens against anything. Without it I wouldn't have gotten a lot of the shots that I did.

Two thumbs (or pixels) up!!

I think you're the first one to turn in a field report on the DLD! Thanks for the review.

When can we expect your trip report and pictures? mmmm? :eek:ut:

Dee once bubbled...
I think you're the first one to turn in a field report on the DLD! Thanks for the review.

When can we expect your trip report and pictures? mmmm? :eek:ut:

The trip report will have to wait until this weekend (at least). i posted a couple of pic in the Oz and Pacific threads

http://www.scubaboard.com/t18974/s.html

Steve

I can wait! :D I've seen the pictures in the Aus/Pac forum....very very good!

According to our dealer in Australia, Adventure Down Under, the Digital Lens Dock should sell for approximately AUS$ 65.00 plus GST. This figure is not exact, but should be pretty close.

ADU's information is:

Adventure Down Under
604 Mountain Hwy
Bayswater, Victoria, 3153
Phone 03 9729 5811

You can send an email to Ray Gosper at Adventure Down Under. His email address is rayadu@sub.net.au. Be sure to tell him I referred you!

Dee,

Does that dock support only one lens? What if you have a macro and a WAL? I was excited to see this dock, as I have been afraid of changing lenses underwater also.

But I plan on buying both lenses.....? Help me out here!

Okie...yes, the DLD only holds one lens. It's designed to utilize the shape of the wide angle lens...the threads fit into the dock and it's clamped down snuggly to hold it without you having to fool with threads.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....the macro lenses are flat with a few threads, right? I think it would be hard to get it in and out of the dock plus there's no place on the macro lens for the tie wrap, that holds the security cable in place, to attach to the lens.

What about duct taping it to your BC? :wink: :eek:ut: I could be totally wrong :eek: It may fit fine and you just need a second one.

I'm sure it's not the first time the question has come up! I'm sure Greg will see this and help us out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom