Question Digital pressure gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP didn't mention the normal for nowadays approach: pressure transmitters and compatible computers. This works but adds money.

If the OP is starting out (his/her profile shows 0-24 dives) then you could treat the pressure gauge as an essential, but having a digital version is expensive for a beginner as you've a lot of kit to buy, especially drysuits and undersuits in Norway!

I'd recommend leaving all the digital shiny shiny kit in the shop and get basic kit, preferably second hand. Having a normal SPG (Submersible Pressure Gauge) is a GOOD THING. For a start you MUST look at it and understand what it says. Having one that's on a hose is really good as everyone else can SEE YOU CHECK. You can also show that gauge to other people whilst diving. Put that with a basic computer and you've saved lots of money.

The shiny new kit with transmitters and computers is marketed at divers as if it makes you better. It doesn't make you a better diver. It makes you a poorer diver as you've thrown a lot of money away! Poor in this case meaning no money, not no skills :)

For purely diving, would I care if I saw approximately 2500 or if I saw exactly 2487? No....

What does that added cost really give me? I really use a gauge like a "fuel gauge", and base my diving on full, half, quarter.....

Sometimes I wish that my Perdix had a "analog" style display for pressure for the quick assessment...

For purely diving, would I care if I saw approximately 2500 or if I saw exactly 2487? No....

What does that added cost really give me? I really use a gauge like a "fuel gauge", and base my diving on full, half, quarter.....

Sometimes I wish that my Perdix had a "analog" style display for pressure for the quick assessment...
It does.
1686938110595.png

Depends on the gauge and how it is installed. If installed on the end of a hose that swivels, yes it will have the same spool and O-rings. A transmitter screwed directly into a 1st stage, no.

Something's a swivel gauge is nice, but for normal hog setup, why does the gauge need to swivel?

I have been wanting to make an adapter to lock and seal the gauge to the hose.
The female swivel is SAE taper, so it shouldn't be to hard to make a small pc to fit in... maybe even the end of a brass fitting...

I'll take a mechanical gauge that's out at the low end, any day of the week, over a digital not working...

I'll still be diving with the mechanical... ( 200-300 psi out is not a big deal)

With a digital I can't really unless you like exciting dives..:wink:

Yes I expect a digital and mechanical gauge to last 30 year, in storage
One needs a battery, and one needs a spool. No big deal,

I'm not sure I understand.

How is an inaccurate SPG better than a digital one? Especially if the SPG becomes "sticky" over time, so you don't actually realize that it is no longer accurate, like it used to be?

I'm taking you to mean that if you are ready to dive and you have a choice between discovering that your transmitter has just totally died or your SPG is 300 psi off, you'd rather have the SPG because you can still dive?

That is totally understandable.

But, it has not really been realistic, in my personal experience. I did have a transmitter once that was dead just when I was about ready to dive. It had been left on a tank with the gas on for a while and that prematurely killed the battery. But, when that happened, I pulled out a replacement battery, put it in, and went diving. Still much preferable, to me, to an SPG that is not accurate.

Worse, though, is your implication that you would KNOW that your SPG was off by 200-300 psi. Part of my point was that you could easily not know that. On the other hand, you will clearly KNOW when your transmitter is dead.

The added cost gives:

- Warnings/alarms on your computer if your gas gets low. You don't need that, because you always monitor your tank pressure so well... except for that ONE time when sh!t happens and you get distracted and are maybe dealing with some kind of emergency or something. The alarm on mine definitely helped me once when I had a freeflow I was trying to resolve and not watching my tank pressure. I had no idea I was losing my gas as quickly as I was. It was not a life-threatening situation. I was carrying other options. But, my AI alerted me to critical low pressure and I thumbed the dive and got back to the surface before I ran out. Had I run out, I could have switched to a different gas source and been fine - but it would still not have been as pleasant for me as being warned and thumbing the dive before I ran out.

There are lots of reasons people run out of gas. I am just not convinced that a significant one of those reasons is that they became dependent on their computer/AI to warn them and then their AI broke, failed to warn them, and then they ran out of gas. I suppose that might be an interesting thread to start. Take a survey to see if anyone knows of that actually happening to someone.

- Very precise and fairly accurate data on your RMV. I have my gas consumption data from every dive I've ever done. I know what my RMV is when I'm stting perfectly still doing nothing. I know what it is when I'm swimming slowly - in a wetsuit and single tank, in a drysuit and doubles, etc.. I know what it is when I'm working hard. Etc.. I know if it is changing over time. I know what it is on the first dive of a trip and how it changes over the course of a trip.

Sure, I could plan my dives based on my worst case gas consumption and 90% of the time have an extra big margin for error. But, why wouldn't I prefer to have more accurate data for planning my dives?

- ability to monitor gas in a HUD/NERD so you can keep track of it without having to take a hand off your camera rig.

- less clutter on your rig. One less hose. One less thing clipped to that D-ring (or one less D-ring on your rig).

- attached directly to your first stage, there are several less places where you could have a failure, and a failure is far less likely to result in actually losing gas. SPGs have several more ways they can fail that results in you actually losing gas.

Point 1: In the water, does it make a flipping difference if your RMV is 0.62 or 0.64? The precision of digital vs. analog pressure reading means little to nothing. We used to calculate SAC and RMV by hand you know... And we lived to tell about it.

Point 2: Now what other things it may bring to the table can become interesting and useful, but he asked about an analog spg vs. a digital spg... Not the value of DC integration.

Point 3: Yes, they do sell them independently of dive computers.... You are grouping the spg and dc together...

@stuartv - IIRC, you (either do or used to) race motorcycles (think I remember that)? An analogy here: If I asked about bike tires would you tell me the suspension I should use?

Actually, I don't know if anyone but Cressi makes a digital spg (only) anymore. UWATEC used to...

Back
Top Bottom