Question Digital pressure gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I don't know if anyone but Cressi makes a digital spg (only) anymore. UWATEC used to...
I have both a Cressi (which I don't use) and an AquaLung EPG (which is installed on my transfill whip.

Worse, though, is your implication that you would KNOW that your SPG was off by 200-300 psi. Part of my point was that you could easily not know that. On the other hand, you will clearly KNOW when your transmitter is dead.
You can quickly know because things do not make a 100% sense. Use your buddies reg set to check, or when tank gets filled ask or look.
Should do that now and then anyway.

I have a nice gauge on my primary rig, first one I ever bought, (was talked into buying a brass one, which was smart)
Its approx 25 years old, it is slightly out 200-300 psi on the top end, doesn't bother me a bit.
How did I find out? When I filled my tanks it was X pressure, when I hook up my regulator set it was W pressure.
Double check with a tank checker, Yep it is out.
You can do the same thing when you have an empty/low tank.

How is an inaccurate SPG better than a digital one? Especially if the SPG becomes "sticky" over time, so you don't actually realize that it is no longer accurate, like it used to be?
If you are on vacation and have the choose between over priced gauge and using a sticky gauge on my reg set, guess which one I am using...

I believe they use to teach to tap your gauge if you suspect it, not being accurate... you should be checking your gauge every so often during a dive anyway.

Not saying I wouldn't eventually change it... but totally usable.

Mechanical gauges have there place, and in general are better,

If you need small and highly accurate digital is probably best

Fyi I also have looked at those cressi gauges kinda like them...
Especially if it can log dives and is a bottom timer...
But kinda pricey and reviews seem mixed..
If shearwater made one, small and tough and cheap, that used an AA and lithium like there computers, I would be interested...

Point 1: In the water, does it make a flipping difference if your RMV is 0.62 or 0.64? The precision of digital vs. analog pressure reading means little to nothing. We used to calculate SAC and RMV by hand you know... And we lived to tell about it.

Point 2: Now what other things it may bring to the table can become interesting and useful, but he asked about an analog spg vs. a digital spg... Not the value of DC integration.

Point 3: Yes, they do sell them independently of dive computers.... You are grouping the spg and dc together...

0.62 v 0.64? No.

0.5, when drifting in a single tank and wetsuit vs 0.7 when swimming slowly in a drysuit and doubles? Yes.

I know what those are because I get all that data constantly.

From what I see in other divers, who don't collect that data, the norm is they determined their RMV at some point early in the training and they never bother to check it again. They plan everything based on some RMV they figured out once, a while back.

If you were driving through an area where there was no gas for 200 miles, would you want to be sure you had enough gas to go that distance before you started?

And when you did that calculation, would you want to base it on the mileage your car was getting when you first bought it, 10 years and 150K miles ago? Or would you rather base it on what your last 5 fill-ups told you?

:)

@stuartv - IIRC, you (either do or used to) race motorcycles (think I remember that)? An analogy here: If I asked about bike tires would you tell me the suspension I should use?

Your other points are totally valid. I really got off base from just digital versus analog/mechanical for an SPG. Apologies. I don't think I've ever seen a digital SPG, other than one that was built into a dive computer. Digital pressure gauge, for land use? Yes. Digital submersible? No. I took myself down the rabbit hole.

Sorry about that! :)

And yes, I did race motorcycles for a long time. And yes, if you asked me about race bike tires, it is entirely possible that my subsequent verbal diarrhea would run over onto suspension. :)

Seems like one of those personal preference situations, different opinions. Was looking at the cressi digi 2, have a brass zeagle analog i use, maybe i should just stick with it if you cant really trust a digital one🤷‍♂️

Seems like one of those personal preference situations, different opinions. Was looking at the cressi digi 2, have a brass zeagle analog i use, maybe i should just stick with it if you cant really trust a digital one🤷‍♂️
Bought my daughter the Cressi Digi 2 in March before a trip to Key Largo. I set it up for her and love it. Looks great under water with pressure, depth, maximum depth, dive time, and temperature clearly readable in big digits. Has a light for dark environment or night diving. She's only put 15 dives on it but what's not to like? Buy it.

Back
Top Bottom