DIN is Superior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddah Aquanaut:
That's what I do. My reg's DIN, but I always have my trusty dusty adapter handy. After almost more than 200 dives almost exclusively with DIN, I am sold on it, as well as steel HP tanks (my Poseidon HP tanks naturally have DIN fittings). I also have two LP steel Aqua Lungs (U.K. manufacture) that I adore to no end. If you take proper care of steel tanks, they're just as safe and long-lasting as Aluminium. The problem might be that for rec diving outfits, it's cheaper to use Aluminium because they stand up to more abuse (ie. water getting in when people suck them dry) than steel, but if you do it right, they're fine. I love DIN. You all can use your sedan, and while I might keep one in the garage if needed, I prefer the Sherman tank (M4A3E8 is nice). I don't know if that analogy is apt, but since it's being used here, I'll stay with it. I don't necessarily agree with everything that Europeans do, but DIN is one of them. You don't have to be a hard core tech diver to prefer DIN. Anyway, I'm not a hardcore anything, nor do I have 2,000 dives or 5,000 postings. However, that's my 2 PSI, for what it's worth.
----Greetings from the (other) Magic Kingdom...
Actually, steel tanks are safer and longer lasting than aluminum tanks, provided, as you said, that you take care of them. I have 2 steel tanks from the early 70's that just passed hydro.
Steel tanks are even cheaper than aluminum in Europe(At least in Germany, where I'm from) and I haven't seen any rec diver using aluminum in Germany.
After starting diving, I haven't seen a yoke reg until I travelled abroad for vacation.

ShakaZulu:
Where can I buy a Sherman tank????
Don't bother trying. They are as hard to find as PST 130's.

The yoke is engineered to be safe up to 4000 psi. This fact is ignored by vendors whose recommendations are set by lawyers. You see, in the old days, the yoke valve did not use a 'captured' O ring. The O rings on very old valves are set into the valve annulus like a washer. The lawyers are probaby cautioning the manufacturers of yoke regulators to take this into account. However, modern yoke valves are cleverly engineered to semi capture the O ring which means that the outer rim of the annulus forms metal to metal contact with the regulator orifice. This is just as effective as the DIN and the limiting factor becomes the strength of the yoke screw. These are very strong indeed on modern regulators. The problems arise due to the fact that the valves on some tanks, usually rental tanks, are abused. This often occurs when routinely changing O rings. BTW, the white, silicone O ring is tougher and more durable than any others I've seen. They will last for many years. However, the rule is that replacement every couple years is a good idea for soft parts like rings. The DIN is a good system. Today's divers like it because the overall installation is cleaner affording easier mounting of multiple regulators and parts without projections which can catch on things in caves and wrecks.( Fishline sometimes snags on the yoke screw). Also, the deep socket of the DIN is a catch all for salt water and dirt so refilling has to be done carefully.

LoCz:
Ok iv read alot about diving in the last few weeks and one of the recurring themes seems to be that DIN fittings are far superior to yoke fittings. Then why does the yoke remain in use in the USA if it is inferior? Here in the UK the vast majority of divers use DIN.

Could i get some advice on whether to but a yoke regulator or a DIN. Bearing in mind i will be diving in england only for about the next year but then i will be moving onto Florida to train as an instructor and from there who knows.
Are DIN to yoke converters safe or are there any problems associated with such adapters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom