Din to Yoke Adapter un-threaded, seriously...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kissdom

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

have anyone come across this before? my din to yoke adapter came apart (written as broke before edit) on my 10th dive, it is shown in the picture below, y'all can see that the bottom half of the adapter is now stuck to the din...

It is a two piece din to yoke adapter and while I was trying to unscrew it from the din, the top part of the adapter un-threaded from the bottom half of it. Lucky it happened on the last dive of my trip..

After the trip, I had to apply Loctite on the thread, screw back the two pieces, wait for it to cure, and un-screw it.

Does anyone have any recommended brand of din to yoke adapter to introduce?

Attachments

• 20140715_172913.jpg
    20140715_172913.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
What brand is this din-to-yoke converter? I have two from different made, both are one piece construction. This can't happen to mine. It seems to me yours is not a good design.

Yesh, I am very afraid of two piece design now and most I see in the market are of 2 piece design, I got mine recently from DGE (dun get me wrong, I love DGE and they sell quality products, this is probably a one off incident).

I did not even know there are one piece design in the market until this happened. What brands are you using?

Dive Right makes (Scratch that...sells) a one piece design. Hmm on second glance I could be wrong with the newer versions. If it came apart once, and you used loctite to put it together than that should be a solid repair. I have a Scubapro version that swivels and it is my favorite.

If you want to sell it I will give you $20 shipped. I need two more.

FWIW I would recommend changing from DIN to yoke not using an adapter. It takes more time to get the tools ready than it does to change the fittings.

This appears to be a one piece design.
HOG DIN to Yoke Adapter - Dive Right in Scuba

I agree with Peter_C most first stages have an interchangable section that connects the body of the first stage to the DIN or Yoke connector.
If you have both of those sections it is an easy job to switch from one to the other.
If you are uncertain what you will need then having a Yoke first stage and the inserts (maybe 2 length) to convert Yoke to DIN is an easier option.

You could also start pressuring dive centers to have convertible valves. Makes life easier for both Yoke and DIN users.

Did this converter come with the regulator? I ask because i have normally been under the impression the converter was not for diving but for filling use to adapt a din whip to a yoke tank.

It didn't "break", it came apart. Very big difference. That's how the "swivel" models are made. SP used to sell parts that let you turn your yoke into a DIN adapter when you converted your stage to DIN. Somehow this one either didn't get torqued correctly, or, when under pressure, it got turned, and the connection loosened (some times the DIN retainer can be loosened in the first stage).

Maintenance/inspection of equipment, pre- and post- dive.......

Did this converter come with the regulator? I ask because i have normally been under the impression the converter was not for diving but for filling use to adapt a din whip to a yoke tank.
Actually, it is the 'other way round'.

The adapters that allow filling of a DIN valve cylinder from a yoke whip are the ones that are not supposed to be used for diving (Aqua DIN to Yoke Tank Filler Adapter (A101) at LeisurePro). The adapters that allow the use of a DIN first stage with a yoke valve cylinder are commonly employed for diving (and with DIN fill whips).

Mine are all "one piece" and I've never had a problem

Back
Top Bottom