DIN VALVE and K VALVE interchangeable on a aluminum 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so i will have a shop remove the yoke valve from an aluminum 80, their they can insert the DIN xtx200 1st stage valve which is 300 bar, and have all the hoses connected to the DIN valve, the hoses being miiflex hoses connect to apeks atx 50 and xtx200 regulators. than ill be in business.

Your first stage doesn't need to be touched at all if it's already a DIN regulator. You simply buy the DIN valve. Bleed Tank Down, remove old valve. Install new valve, fill tank. Voila, you're done.

If you're having trouble, let me know. I can ship you what you need if it comes to it.

so i will have a shop remove the yoke valve from an aluminum 80, their they can insert the DIN xtx200 1st stage valve which is 300 bar, and have all the hoses connected to the DIN valve, the hoses being miiflex hoses connect to apeks atx 50 and xtx200 regulators. than ill be in business.

No. Forget about the regulator completely.

Your tank (apparently) has a yoke valve in it like this.

K Valve.jpg

The scuba tank valve will be changed to a convertible valve that looks like this

7litre-valve.jpg

Which will have a little insert that you can removed at will like the one below
cylinder_valve_din_insert.jpg

After which it will look something like the one below
din_tank.jpg

You then screw your new DIN regulator into that tank

DINRegIsolated.jpg

If I am reading this right, you are wanting to put a 300 BAR DIN valve into a 232 BAR aluminium cylinder. My thoughts are its not a smart move as someone along the line may fill the cylinder to 300 BAR. If you want just DIN, why not fit a 232 BAR DIN, which will take a 300 BAR DIN regulator but will align with the cylinder being 232 BAR. I know you can screw a 300 BAR line into it or a 232 BAR line and pump it to 300 BAR. I guess it goes against my grain to do it and potentially cause hurt to someone because they make a mistake based on what one has done.

Perhaps the words I am looking for are technically wrong and ethically wrong, but very doable and probably not illegal.

All my DIN regs are 300 BAR so I can fit them to 300, 232 DIN or 232 YOKE with insert. All my cylinders are 232 BAR with appropriate 232 BAR DIN valves

Love the pics a great way to show what you mean.

If I am reading this right, you are wanting to put a 300 BAR DIN valve into a 232 BAR aluminium cylinder. My thoughts are its not a smart move as someone along the line may fill the cylinder to 300 BAR. If you want just DIN, why not fit a 232 BAR DIN, which will take a 300 BAR DIN regulator but will align with the cylinder being 232 BAR. I know you can screw a 300 BAR line into it or a 232 BAR line and pump it to 300 BAR. I guess it goes against my grain to do it and potentially cause hurt to someone because they make a mistake based on what one has done.

Perhaps the words I am looking for are technically wrong and ethically wrong, but very doable and probably not illegal.

All my DIN regs are 300 BAR so I can fit them to 300, 232 DIN or 232 YOKE with insert. All my cylinders are 232 BAR with appropriate 232 BAR DIN valves

Love the pics a great way to show what you mean.

This really isn't an issue here in the US. No one is going to fill an Aluminum 80 to 300 Bar. We wouldn't even do that in cave country. It don't matter what valve he's got on that tank. Hell, for most parts of the US, divers have trouble getting fills to 3000psi, let alone 4500.

This really isn't an issue here in the US. No one is going to fill an Aluminum 80 to 300 Bar. We wouldn't even do that in cave country. It don't matter what valve he's got on that tank. Hell, for most parts of the US, divers have trouble getting fills to 3000psi, let alone 4500.

I guess I always allow for that one brain dead moron who decided that as the valve says 300 BAR then he wants a good fill to 300 BAR. There is always one somewhere in the woodwork.

Got my 232 BAR pony cylinder back from test and found it had 300 BAR in it, guess the tech forgot to dump the test pressure out.

wow thanks guys all very helpful. apparently an apeks tx100 DIN Adapter Unit came with the bundle i got. it looks like the adapter hooks onto the yoke and i screw my DIN value to the adapter. or my other option would be to have the yoke valve changed to a convertible valve. are steal cylinders 300 bar?

Changing the valve will be better than using the adapter, if you don't mind paying for the valve

Steel tanks cpome in High Pressure and Low Pressure variants. Before getting a HP tank, best check that you can get it filled; some shops compressor will only fill to 200-220 bar

The penalty with a HP tank is that it weighs more, so if you buy one and cant get it filled to 300BAR you are carrying more weight for nothing. On the up side, if you can get it filled sometimes, you can carry more air for the same size cylinder.

Although I too have adapters, the best option is to just convert to a DIN/K valve which suits both styles and minimal risk of an O ring blowout if using DIN. With the converter you are introducing another failure point with another O ring and also extending the length of the setup thus more leverage on the fittings. Although the risks are small, something to think about.

Converter is the cheaper option, valve change is the better option but higher cost. I know in OZ they are considering charging more for 300BAR fills as it takes longer and is harder on the compressor and eats up compressor run time thus more expense to them. Often we struggle to get fills above 200 BAR (I like 230 BAR as the norm)

Steel cylinders can be 235 or 300 BAR the 300 BAR being thicker thus heavier. You have to check and ensure that you have both the cylinder and the valve at 300 BAR if you wish to use that pressure. A mismatch can cause a failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom