Dining on Ambergris

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjach

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to Belize for a week at the end of April. We have air reservations but not hotel or dive shop. While trying to do my research, alot has been said about all of the good food there is to enjoy. I found a few threads that said you can eat cheaply or you can eat expensive. I don't want to eat extremely cheap but I don't need steak and lobster with a bottle of champaign. On an average how much can I expect to spend per day for meals? This may help us decide on staying in a hotel or a condo type suite. We do want something close to town so we can walk there after a day of diving. More questions about hotels later.
Thanks

Hi...perhaps this list will help. I didn't create it but have edited it to update it based on my last trip there in March of last year. Pricing for both meals and accommodation remains fairly reasonable and April is not peak season. A condo type place would give you the option of eating in or dining out but do be aware that grocery prices are higher than back home...especially on anything imported. There is a guy (Simon) who will provision condos with food and he is well regarded and gets lots of repeat business. This write up is a couple of years old so it is wise to adjust prices slightly higher. I have eaten at pretty well all of these places and have no problem recommending them.

WHERE TO EAT

Ambergris Caye has Belize's widest selection of restaurants of interest to visitors, ranging from inexpensive local spots and pizza joints to a couple that will have you reaching for your Platinum Amex. The emphasis is on seafood, of course, but many restaurants also serve chicken and pork. Lobster is usually the most-expensive item on the menu (in-season mid-June to mid-February), at around US$25. Pasta and Mexican-style dishes also are popular. After all that pricey seafood, an honest plate of Belizean beans and rice will taste real good. Dress is very casual, even at the spiffy places.
Price ranges shown are for typical meals for one (usually dinner), not including tip, tax or alcoholic drinks, or tax.
Inexpensive, under US$5
Moderate, US$6-$15
Expensive, US$16-30
Very Expensive, over US$30
In-Town and Nearby:
Rubie's (or Ruby's), Barrier Reef Drive, tel. 501-2-62063. Fine spot for casual breakfast or light snacks. Opens early around 6 a.m. and usually stays open until about dark, or 6 p.m. Inexpensive.

The lamb kababs at Ali Baba's - and the whole chickens. Moderate

Any of the pasta dishes from Casa Picasso. Moderate

Blue Water Grill lunch menu. Moderate to expensive

Jamaic'n me crazy shrimp from the Jerk Pit I.

I would put BC's BBQ, the street vendors, The Lions Club BBQ and a beach BBQ with a local guide on the list if you want a memorable meal with local flair. The cost is a good value and the memories and good times priceless. The rest are up there on my list. Also, don't be shy to buy snacks from people with stands set up on the streets and others walking around town selling things. For a true adventure wander the back streets of town and if looks like a restaurant, check it out.

The jalapeno pasta at the Jerk pit was great and would reheat well.

BC's BBQ is on Sunday afternoons starting at about 11:00AM. Food can run out after a few hours. Best to secure your bar stool early

Celi's Restaurant, San Pedro Holiday Hotel, Barrier Reef Drive, San Pedro, tel. 501-2-62014. Celi's, on the beach side of the Holiday Hotel, is one of San Pedro's best choices for seafood. The catch of the day is around US$10, broiled, fried or stuffed, and comes with a side order such as fries, beans and rice or cole slaw. Most other entrees are around US$8 to $12. Kids will like the fish or chicken fingers, burgers and fresh juice drinks (watermelon, lime, orange, pineapple). Open for dinner. Moderate to Expensive. Celi's Deli (Inexpensive), for quick snacks and sandwiches, is nearby.

Elvi's Kitchen, Pescador Drive, tel. 501-2-62176, fax 2-63056. Yes, it's a little touristy, and yes, the waiters are a little hyper, and, yes, it's a little more expensive than some, but Elvi's does a fine job with fish and just about everything. We always enjoy our meals here. The sand floor and the living frangipangi tree around which the main dining room is built add atmosphere. Open for lunch and dinner. Moderate to Expensive.

Caliente. Run by Elvi's daughter, this newish spot is getting attention from locals and visitors alike. Try it! Moderate.

The Reef, Pescador Drive, tel. 501-2-63212. This spot gets our vote, and that of many BELIZE FIRST readers, for the best restaurant value on the island. It serves tasty Belizean fare in large portions at small prices. Open for lunch and dinner. Moderate.

Fido's, Barrier Reef Drive, 501-26-3714. Popular, centrally located spot for a quick bite or beer. More like pub food...not very good but it is a popular spot with the tourists. Moderate.

Estelle's-by-the-Sea Good location in town on the water with a variety of menu items including seafood and burgers. Opens early, closed Tuesdays. Moderate.

Jambel's Jerk Pit. Might not be a stand-out if it were in Jamaica, but it is in San Pedro. Tasty, spicey jerk chicken, shrimp and other Jamaican-inspired dishes. Near Big Daddy's, in the middle of town. Moderate.

Jade Garden, Coconut Drive, tel. 501-2-62506. This is the place for Chinese food on Ambergris Caye, but it's also serves good seafood and other items in a very pleasant setting. It's located south of town near the Belize Yacht Club and Changes in Latitude. Moderate.

El Patio, Coconut Drive, tel. 501-26-63063. A little more upmarket than most Ambergris Caye restaurants, El Patio near Caribbean Villas at Rock's II is a good spot for fish and a Mexican song or two. Moderate to Expensive.

La Popular Bakery. Best baked stuff on the island. Two locations. Inexpensive.

Papi's Diner. Another great find,in the budget end, at the north end of San Pedro near the channel, with delicious soups, chicken and fish. Moderate.

BC's. One of the island's most popular barbecue spots on the island. On the water just south of SunBreeze. Moderate.

Various street vendors on Front Street, (Belizean-American/Mexican, Barbeque) are cheap, good and safe to eat. Also try the Lion's Club Barbecue.

Enjoy your trip and the diving. There are a number of great dive operators in San Pedro and you will see lots of reviews on this board.

i second the recommendation for the smaller local food places. the one under the staircase at the corner of Pescador and Buccaneer (i think) is really, really good and at 2 belize dollars for some items is about 6 times cheaper than most places while being fantastic and fresh.

for the more upscale, wild mango has been a culinary highlight, as has been estelle's. the coffee at island perk comes with lots of good information and friendly people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom