Dinner options near Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know las palmas is a loncheria so probably closes around 4 or 5. The locals eat lunch around 3ish and usually their biggest meal. If you go back 2 more blocks to 30th ave. you have los seras and super hits open all day. Something I do is most of the local places sell by the kilo also. I will get a kilo or 2 of Pasteur or cochinita that comes with red and green sauce and onions and take it back to the room. I get some tortillas or tortas and have a quick easy snack or meal. Something else I look for is just a posterboard in front of a locals house advertising what they cooked. Sometimes its fresh tamales, cochinita, or relleno de horno. I'm staying for a month In January and love all the food choices. Most of the restaurants that have been mentioned you can google and find location pretty easy nowadays. For a more expensive meal the aforementioned al pie de carbon has great burgers. a lot of the places along melgar and the square compare to US prices. So just head away from the water and stuff gets cheaper. Sometimes we taxi one way and walk back or vice versa.

Local 707 is worth a long walk! About as good as it gets.

Los Otates is one of my favorite local places. Generally the farther you get away from the tourist areas the cheaper the food gets. There are lots of local places in town. Just look for the locals.

Just go to La Choza. 2 Blocks north, 2 blocks east. Greats Margs, attentive service, reasonable prices, abundant portions -- served hot and fast. Reliable local option with the least amount of brain damage after a long day of travel. It's always our first destination after checking into Casa Mex. Save the fine-tuning and search-for-perfection until later in the trip.

Last edited:
CM is our goto place to stay and we have probably stayed there at least 6 times. The closest place will be almost directly behind CM. The block to the south, turn east and walk about 1/2 block. I think it is called Costa Brava. Great shrimp tacos and we have never had anything bad there.

The closest big supermarket is Mega about 2 blocks south on Melgar. We always make that our first stop to stock up on snacks, Bohemia Obscura, and I like to have the Mexican pastries/cookies around. I also buy some of the boxes of sealed cookies to take on the boat. Dive masters and Captains seem to always appreciate them. Don't forget to get the small bananas...they are like crack when you can find them!

Walking a block north, then turning east will take you by Aldora divers, keep walking East to the next block then turn North and La Chef has the best lobster sandwhich I've ever had. I used to recommend Lobster Shack across from The Thirsty Cougar....but I prefer La Chef now. A block further East and there is La Choza. Just all around good Mexian food. Make sure you get a table under a fan if it is hot and/or humid because it can get uncomfortable without a breeze.

the Thirsty Cougar is around 2 blocks North. Consistently good food, great drinks, and Abraham and Christian will treat you like family. My wife's favorite is a peanut butter chocolate margarita. It's big enough for 3 people.

Across the street from the Cougar is Lobster Shack for a lobster roll, shrimp roll, or chicken. It's good, double Lobster is a treat, and the sauces change it up to your taste. Behind the Cougar is a small coffee shop with amazing desserts and great coffee. I mean seriously great coffee and the banana cake is really good. Never had a bad cake there and the coffee is excellent.

King Burrito and Burrito Gordito (both cheap and very good) are a few blocks further down and back, next to a great bakery called Zermatt on 4th North It's a bit of a walk, but not bad.

For a little nicer dinner, Guidos is very nice and the scallops are my favorite. We have never had a bad meal there, but it is a little higher than the average restaurant prices. It is on Melgar several blocks North of CM.

It is absolutely worth the cab to go to La Perlita for coconut crusted lion fish or grilled lobster. Best lobster I have ever had.(admittedly I'm in Oklahoma though) Their lionfish ceviche has chunks of mango in it and it is very good. My wife does not like lobster, she had a bite of mine and we had to go back 2 more nights so she could get it again.

All of the restaurants except for La Perlita are within walking distance for 95% of the people I know. The hotdog cart on the corner is not bad for a late late snack as well. I was sceptical, but starving, and it was good enough I had another! Across from Mega is Rock n Java which supposedly has great burgers, I had tacos and they were good. We had just gotten in and it was late so we just had Chris from Villa Aldora drop us off there on her recommendation.

The Pub is on my list for the next trip. Lots of people speak very highly of it here and it is owned by the brother of one of the hosts at Villa Aldora. There is lots of great food in Coz, the selection is huge and it's hard to decide most days. Also, the breakfast is so large at CM, I usually do not want lunch. All of the places I have mentioned are on Google Maps for better directions.

Enjoy your stay at CM and if you make it to The Thirsty Cougar, tell Abraham that Jay and Kelly from Oklahoma, along with their cat, A**hole, say hello! Well....A**hole doesn't, but that is just the way he is....thus his name.

Safe travels,
Jay

The closest place will be almost directly behind CM. The block to the south, turn east and walk about 1/2 block. I think it is called Costa Brava. Great shrimp tacos and we have never had anything bad there.

I concur with Costa Brava. Just around the corner if you are tired, great fish tacos, very nice family that runs the place.

I was looking at stuff this morning and got into google earth for Cozumel. You can go around and find all the restaurants and bars. Its a nice Cozumel fix for when I'm not there .I think its from 2014.

With the exchange rate where it is, everything is cheap IMO. Cielito Lindo is probably my favorite restaurant there. Hit it up at least twice per trip.

Back
Top Bottom