DIR 11 yrs. in the big making

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but there is a huge difference in how one becomes an instructor for any agency and how one becomes A GUE Fundamentals instructor.

You have to be asked to attend the ITC by one of the training directors. Not just anyone shows up. These guys all do a minimum of three (probably more for most) interns of the Fundamentals class before they are considered eligible to attend the ITC. Each one is three days long and you have to be willing to travel a good distance.

I saw Mark during the ITC/IE. I thought he did a great job and yet AG wasn't ready to sign off. AG picks his candidates very carefully.

OneBrightGator once bubbled...
Not trying to pick a fight, but...

To become a PADI Instructor you have to have taken Advanced, Rescue and be a PADI DM

PADI DM courses require an intership module or practical training

You must attend a 7-10 day IDC taught by a CD where you must teach a minimum of two knowledge development presentations, two confined water skills and 4 open water skills (I had twice or three times as many during my IDC and consider that about average) along with a 5-part theory exam and skill circuit, then you must complete a 2 day IE run by one of few IEs and usually with one or more CDs assisting with another knowledge development presentation, confined water skill, 2 open water skills, a skill circuit, another 5-part theory exam and a standards exam.

Luckily I passed my IE the first time, but we did have one canidate fail out of 6.

I'm not trying to say the instructor path for both agencies is the same, just that each adequately prepares their instructors with the skills and knowledge to perform the job.

Ben

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
For those of you that already plan on calling this one a Troll...Please don't waste your time. Just move on.

This is not bashing DIR. It's simply wondering why PADI advanced so fast over a decade when DIR has not. The question is why?

WHY YOU ROTTEN TR... oh.

Different strokes for different... uh-oh.

Here's PADI's mission statement:

"We want to teach the world to dive."

...and here's GUE's:

"G lobal Underwater Explorers was created exclusively to increase the quality and diversity of aquatic education. GUE was founded by conservationists, explorers and educators with a desire to see the mystery of the underwater world explored, studied, protected and shared. Global Underwater Explorers is prepared to redefine the nature of aquatic activity in three specific areas: education, research and exploration. "

In terms of marketing, PADI are the real commandos.

that Cronin, who founded PADI, came from US Divers.

The incestuous relationships between dive shops, instructors and manufacturers is rather easy to understand, given its genesis.

What's even MORE interesting is that the GUE/DIR folks, rather than break away from this mold, disavow it entirely, and shatter that kind of incestuous practice as counter to their mission, have instead (at least Halcyon has!) attempted to tighten the noose even TIGHTER!

It's simply wondering why PADI advanced so fast over a decade when DIR has not. The question is why?

The way I see it it’s all about positioning and communication.

Padi`s mass growth was/is based on 3 concepts:

- RECREATIONAL diving (to take diving out of commercial, military or scientific “mission-oriented-environments”)
- Diving is EASY.
- Diving is for ALL.

So, diving moved from a niche to a “mass market”…

Ultimately this degenerated into something like “diving is like riding a bike and it will not cost you much”…

GUE concept stands on:

- Many wkpp years/dives testing different approaches/gear/techniques/theories, etc…
- Applying all the learnings back into the project.
- Generate enhanced set of skills/gear concepts/theories…etc (DIR as a whole approach).
- Propose DIR system to the market based on the foundation that diving is NOT for ALL and its NOT as easy as riding a bike.

So, anyone looking for a “mass market” approach will buy padi and if your looking for something else you will embrace GUE training.

this took time and it will take more time...
But ever since it started...its growing fast, right!?
GUE`s % growth must be amazing (both in volume and value) versus previous years...

That’s how any market goes, right?

If you want fast food take McD if you want gourmet food take a fancy restaurant!
The same in hard & software, cars, beer, hi fi systems, travel, etc…

And this is clearly supported by padi vs gue price policy.

And, obviously, mass market will always be “mass” but a niche may become bigger…as padi proved…

It’s all about positioning…and gue positioning looks like small is beautiful...

IMHO it will be far more easier for GUE to become bigger (at what quality cost?) than to padi to be perceived as the “state of the art” in how diving will/should be in the future…

Can you imagine a McD Gourmet??? nnaaahhhhh…. Its like trying to imagine a “light, cholesterol free” bacon & eggs!

Cheers!

PADI started some 30+ years ago. They were smaller and more demanding then.

How many people here who are bashing PADI went through PADI training in the first 10 or 15 years of their existence?

I did my PADI OW 25 years ago and it was not like today.
I did my AOW 23 years ago and it was a *serious* course in diving. Not like the *introductory* style course today.

The whole environment of diving was different then.

I wonder where GUE (and DIR) will be in another 20 years.

rusky4u once bubbled...

And this is clearly supported by padi vs gue price policy.

Cheers!

Good post, and I agreed with you until the quote above.

GUE's classes are a huge value for the money spent. For instance, a typical Fundamentals class goes 5 hours on Friday, 12 hours on Saturday, and 7 hours on Sunday. That's 24 hours of solid instruction on a max 1:6 instructor to student ratio- all for about $325.00 or so.

I don't know where you can get this quality of instruction for $13.50 per hour. It's a bargain.

GUE's classes are a huge value for the money spent

you are right Detroit Diver, my mistake...
in my case (europe) i also acounted for the extra expenses of having AG.

but, either way, you are right in value 4 money.

thanks!

rusky4u once bubbled...

....... i also acounted for the extra expenses of having AG.

That WOULD bring the expenses up a bit!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom