DIR 11 yrs. in the big making

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver once bubbled...

No, I still can't figure out what the FA is. Why don't you tell us?

As for comparing the two, no you can't. But go ahead anyway. It'll make you feel better.

Ah ha. Tom C. My profile pic. I was wondering what you were referring to. No hero. Good actor, though. I thought it would be better to put his pick on there than Shania Twain. Some people might begin to wonder. On reflection, I think I'd rather see her pic up there myself.

It will make me feel better, thanx.

Put Shania up there for Christ sake! Tom's a great great actor but Shania..come on now. Who cares what people think.

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Shake yourself, man. You're better than that. be passionate, be funny. be sincere - but don't be small.

K

You're right...:(

100% right.. That was just being small....:(

No, I still can't figure out what the FA is. Why don't you tell us?

I'll give you a hint... the auto-censor won't let me answer!

This stuff needs to be copywritten and published.
Some of the Best Diving information I have every read!

You guys really are the foundation of the industry.

I hope all those new divers out there are reading this and taking note, This is great stuff, what an industry!

Dave

Genesis once bubbled...

But to claim that GUE will be some "savior" is utter hogwash.

GUE/DIR/Halcyon are just as firmly entrenched in the business model that has led to this problem as are the other agencies!

For the most part I agree. I doubt PADI will try to offer class to try and compete with GUE. I can't see them droping their weekend wonder format when GUE releases their OW program. That said, I can't imagine some of GUE's ideas (quality control, adherence to standards, etc) won't rub off on PADI.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Who is Tom C. you say. He's the picture you have in your profile champ. Can I help you with anything else that's under your nose? I guess he's your hero or someone you want to be right? Or is it deeper than that....Boom Chinka Bim Beow....Hey, each to their own rainbow I say.

Careful Cincy...

For those of you that already plan on calling this one a Troll...Please don't waste your time. Just move on.

I've had folks here tell me that the DIR philosphy will take over the industry one day. I for one don't see this happening in the recreational world but hey...I could be wrong.

But...Use PADI as an example here because I personally know Ralph Ericson and his family however, I never new John Cronin.

Ralph is the Co-founder of PADI along with John. Ralph has been the President for quite some time.

My point.... G.I. brought the DIR philosphy big in 1992 when he became director of WKPP. He's had 11 yrs. to broadcast it. Yet it is still far...VERY FAR from main stream. Why is this... A very small percentage of divers out there are DIR or even dive a similar DIR fashion. Why is this after 11 yrs. of world broadcasting?This

In John's and Ralph's first 11 yrs. they took PADI from something small to the mainstream teaching for North America and Europe. YMCA SCUBA was still huge in those days but not as big as PADI had become.

Again..I only use PADI since I have the most experience with them and a nice history with Ralph. I'm also an instructor with YMCA, CMAS and NAUI.

This is not bashing DIR. It's simply wondering why PADI advanced so fast over a decade when DIR has not. The question is why?

GO BENGALS 2003

For starters, PADI is a company and DIR is a philosophy so its somewhat difficult to compare the two.

PADI has been in existence since the 70's.

Perhaps your intent was to compare PADI to GUE.

First, there is no intent to grow GUE in manner similiar to PADI.

When PADI first started, it grew very quickly, memberships were offered to anyone with a instructors rating from another agency who were willing to pay the membership fee and complete an application form. They also attracted the leaders of the competing certification agencies to work for them which provided some initial respectability.

The initial intent of the organization seem to be to grow quickly and attempt to become the dominant certification agency.

PADI also came out with superior training materials fairly early in it's existance. Many of the other agencies lagged behind in this regard. This was helpful for PADI growth.

PADI also made the transformation from a non-profit organization to a for-profit company which likely gave them access to funds to grow the company quickly. NAUI is currently pursuing a somewhat similiar path although they have split the organization into a non-profit organization with a for-profit service arm.

GUE is not focused on growth. A primary focus is on providing quality skills based training based on the DIR philosophy.

Perhaps as an example of this I can compare my transistion from a long term NAUI (5017) and former PADI (8540) instructor to both an SSI instructor and GUE Recreational Instructor.

My original transistion from PADI to NAUI involved a fairly intense weekend about 3 months after completing my PADI ITC.

I became both an SSI instructor and GUE Recreational instructor this year.

MY SSI crossover consisted of purchasing the SSI Instructor Manuals, completing a take-home SSI Instructor Exam, discussing SSI with with an SSI IT/IE for a couple of hours. The IT/IE had seen me in the water assisting with an SSI OW course and I had assisted at a GUE DIR Fundamentals that he taken. I completed all the forms, added SSI to my Insurance and I was an SSI instructor.

My GUE instructor crossover was a bit more involved and included the following.

1. Completing GUE Cave 1

2. Completing GUE Tech 1

3. Interning a minimum of 3 DIRF courses (prior to my ITC, I actually assisted/interned at something like 12 GUE courses)

4. Complete a week long ITC in High Springs run by 2 GUE Instructor Trainers (min of 2 ITs required)

5. Completed a 3 day IE where the successful ITC candidates taught a DIRF course.

6. In my case, my skills were found not to be at the GUE Instructor level at the IE so I was given a provisional and
6 months to develop and demo my skills - which I successfully did some 3 months later.

The requirements for becoming a GUE Instructor have changed a bit from the above (ie Cave 1 or Tech 1 are required but not both), the current requirements can be found at the GUE website.

The requirements for becoming a GUE Instructor are clearly not those of scuba training organization dedicated to growing it's instructor base quckly.

The DIRF course is a very rewarding course to teach. The transistion in the diver's skill level over the length of the course is normally very dramatic. The subsequent improvement as the newly trained DIRF divers continue to practice the skills is also dramatic. Course participants frequently comment that the DIRF course is the best scuba course they have yet taken.

Take care

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
march@gue.com

Quote from the original post.. "I've had folks here tell me that the DIR philosphy will take over the industry one day. "

This was the point.

When did I openly hate DIR or GUE? Are you referring to the primary hose opinions again? I think the DIR buoyancy skills and a few other skills are outstanding. But I guess you think since I disagree with donating the primary that I "Hate" DIR.

The philosophy IS having an effect on the industry. Even you can't deny this. Look at the mainstream equipment manufacturers that are building to "DIR"specs. Look at the non-GUE instructors that are advertising "DIR Fundamentals" style classes.

The numbers don't matter. It's the philosophy that counts. And this little organization of 35 instructors is instrumental in making changes in the "big boy's" programs. If the issue were just numbers, why would these other organinations be adapting to such a small entity? The answer is that this small entity can back up their training, skills, and phillosphy with sound reasoning and quality education. Even those on this board that don't dive DIR will tell you that the basis of GUE and DIR is cemented in sound practices and quality.

On a side note, I just got a PM from someone telling me what FA meant. I didn't think that you would even stoop that low.

I had almost written this thread off as complete drivel and then lo and behold I learned something.

The numbers don't matter. It's the philosophy that counts. And this little organization of 35 instructors is instrumental in making changes in the "big boy's" programs. If the issue were just numbers, why would these other organinations be adapting to such a small entity? The answer is that this small entity can back up their training, skills, and phillosphy with sound reasoning and quality education.

DD,

I think you make a good point, but one that I want to expand upon. I don't think it's so much about the "big boys" changing their programs as much as it is about them marketing their programs after ours. For me I thought it was great when I attended the TDI "DIR Demo", when the TDI instructor that was giving the presentation said that " DIR is all about team diving UNLESS you have taken the TDI solo class"..

The point is that many in the industry are reacting to the success of our classes so they are packaging a class that purports to be what we are, but no matter what kind of window dressing you put on the copy cat class, it will remain something different then the original. Far too many in the industry are more interested in the marketing aspects that they can attach themselves to, rather then the underlying impact the class(es) are having on the industry. That is one of the reasons we will continue to remain viable and the alternative for those that are wanting a change for the industry status quo.

Regards and telll the scuba guys I say hello ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom