DIR 11 yrs. in the big making

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Similiar demographics and economic stature exsist in the ski market, but you don't see the drop off level amongst skiiers.

Nonsense.

First, in the ski marketplace you don't have manufacturers conspiring with ski slope operators to structure "training" so that you have to play "buy a card and listen to a 40 hour, high-pressure sales pitch for $2,000 worth of gear in the guise of a class" to go on the slopes. Nor do you have those very same manufacturers conspiring with the slope operators so you can ONLY buy their gear from those same slope operators "or we won't honor our warranties."

Indeed, all you need to do is rent the hardware (for $20-30) and buy a lift ticket. No instruction required. You do need a winter jacket in most places, but most people already own one of those, and a pair of gloves. If you buy ANY instruction at all, its usually part of a group trip and the cost is VERY minimal (like $30 or so.)

I have a pair of alpine snow skis and bindings in my garage. I have a pair of ski boots in my closet and a pair of gogles in my drawer. I used to downhill ski competitively in high school. There are no parallels between the ski and scuba industries in how they are structured, on dealer/manufacturer/site operator interference, or anything similar.

If you take a pair of skis into a pro shop for a binding adjustment, they'll work on them and probably get you back on the slopes in an hour or so. Even if they're not "dealers" for that brand. There is none of this garbage that you have in the scuba business where you have manufacturers intentionally trying to keep skiiers from making their own adjustments, nor is there any requirement that you have your bindings and skis "VIPd" every year or they won't let you on the slopes. Indeed, most bindings can be adjusted with nothing more complicated than a screwdriver, and instructions for setting them properly are contained in the box that the bindings come in - which you, the consumer, get. I can buy those bindings over the Internet if I want without hassles. If I have a set of bindings and skis, any shop will mount them for me for a very reasonable amount of money (typically $20 or so.)

Kane, you keep drawing "conclusions" that are simply not supported by the evidence entered into the record.

WHY?

As for supporting someone's RIGHT to dive however they want, no, you in fact don't. You have in the past refused to endorse exactly that freedom of choice, and in fact paraded around on another board trying to justify that diving "solo" was extremely dangerous, dancing on the graves of a few dead people while doing so. When called on your presentation of the statistics - that in fact they showed exactly the opposite, and that most solo deaths were due to unintentional solo diving (that is, starting with a buddy and "losing" him or her) you quit the discussion and not long after quit the entire board!

So I hope you'll excuse me if I simply don't believe that you "support" a diver's freedom of choice in this, and other related matters, because the record in front of all who care to look seems to say exactly the opposite.

Now if you've had a change of heart, then I say "bravo."

But until I see you take a public stand of at least equal vociferousness to your previous statements, and repudiate your previosly-stated views, I hope you won't mind if I simply don't believe your claim.

gedunk once bubbled...
Whats the problem Jeff? My opinion? I find the bias in here toward one way being the only safe way to dive to be unproductive

Um... you're reading that into things, and thus actually steering the thread into that direction.

You might want to look above and see what MHK just said.

Genesis once bubbled...

But until I see you take a public stand of at least equal vociferousness to your previous statements, and repudiate your previosly-stated views, I hope you won't mind if I simply don't believe your claim.

Oh damn it!!! Now I'll be up all night tonight worrying about it...

;-)

Mo2vation once bubbled...

If I didn't find the SSI shop when I did I'd probably be dead by now.

Jeff,
This is the statement that started my posts in this thread. I don't think i'm reading to much into the allusion but if i am my apologies.

Not all of us have ulterior motives, conscious or otherwise. Some of us, as hard as it is to believe in here, are sincere.

gedunk once bubbled...
This is the statement that started my posts in this thread. I don't think i'm reading to much into the allusion but if i am my apologies.

He was referring to the quality of instruction he received in his OW class. Who are you to say that his safety wasn't in jeopardy.

Sit back and look at what you are saying... and then realize SSI is just an other OW agency like PADI and NAUI... and you'll see how incredibly foolish you are appearing.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Keep standing by it. Ignorance never seems to amaze me. You are a very poor example for DIR-FA/GUE if that's what your intentions are.

I didn't think you could come to this thread without the hatred of PADI and the others and try to start something like you always do. Go argue with the stop sign at the end of your street please. It will show more interest.

First of all, what the heck is DIR-FA?

You see, I don't hate PADI. I just think they can take a much better bead on quality of training. There is little oversight and consistency from one instructor to the next. And the requirements are too lenient.

When you have something worthwhile to post about GUE and DIR that is defensible, I will listen. Until then, I'll keep calling BS when I see it.

As DocIntrepid so well stated, a sampling of your recent posts shows your true skin.

detroit diver once bubbled...

First of all, what the heck is DIR-FA?

You see, I don't hate PADI. I just think they can take a much better bead on quality of training. There is little oversight and consistency from one instructor to the next. And the requirements are too lenient.

When you have something worthwhile to post about GUE and DIR that is defensible, I will listen. Until then, I'll keep calling BS when I see it.

As DocIntrepid so well stated, a sampling of your recent posts shows your true skin.

Wow..How incredible. More useless nonesense by Tom C. AKA Detroit Diver. Can you answer the questions from the last thread? Or are you still hiding out until you think you can find something to type about without answering questions?

What BS are you calling this time? Comparing PADI to DIR and there 11 yrs. of expansion is BS? Okay champ...lay off the caffiene this late in the day. It's a comparison......Just a comparison......It'll be okay....It's just a .....comparison of the 11 yr. expansion of the two....

As far as DIR-FA....Do a short search..I'm sure you can figure it out without a search though......Wait a minute...You..Probably can't.... Just ask around.:rolleyes:

that OW instruction is lacking.

It is.

But to claim that GUE will be some "savior" is utter hogwash.

GUE/DIR/Halcyon are just as firmly entrenched in the business model that has led to this problem as are the other agencies!

You want to solve this problem, you have to separate out and get rid of the system that we have now that "ties" all these pieces together. Its not an easy sell. But without that you won't get where you want to go.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Wow..How incredible. More useless nonesense by Tom C. AKA Detroit Diver. Can you answer the questions from the last thread? Or are you still hiding out until you think you can find something to type about without answering questions?

What BS are you calling this time? Comparing PADI to DIR and there 11 yrs. of expansion is BS? Okay champ...lay off the caffiene this late in the day. It's a comparison......Just a comparison......It'll be okay....It's just a .....comparison of the 11 yr. expansion of the two....

As far as DIR-FA....Do a short search..I'm sure you can figure it out without a search though......Wait a minute...You..Probably can't.... Just ask around.:rolleyes:

Question #1 never answered: What is DIR-FA?
I know what a DIR-F (undamentals) class is. No clue what you are talking about. Apparently I'm not the only one.

Question #2 Who is Tom C. ? And what thread are you talking about?

You can't compare DIR to PADI. It's not an agency. You can, however, try to compare GUE to PADI, but that's where your logic falls apart. GUE doesn't want to be a PADI. There is no competition or desire to do so. So to compare size is meaningless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom