DIR Argon Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
Seriously, how much of a benefit are we talking about using argon instead of backgas (non-helium)?

At what temperature range do you think argon starts to become a necessity?

I wouldn't say it's necessary really. Depends alot on your suit, undies and personal comfort level, but for me, 55 and under is "nicer". I have been in 36 degree water for over an hour without it though. Not including mix diving, I get the biggest benefit on the longer doubles deco dives just due to in water time. With most rec style dives, it's a toss up whether to use it or not.

Phil

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Now if you think that a little argon added to your air is a good thing then you should try adding argon to argon... it goes beyond the placebo effect quite nicely. :D

Okay, I'll give it a try in Hoodsport Nov. 8th, and I'll be totally objective :)

Seein a bunch of guys with doubles on standing on their heads in a boat would have been fun though...

Thanks guys.

Pug, I think I had read you or someone else advising about pre-purging before, so my buddy and I were planning on splitting the cost ofan older tank (which, of course will be well labeled) and purging before dives.

I don't dive mix and most of my winder dives are pretty short (less than an hour), but, I decided on argon because water temps will be in the 40s (andn colder) here this winter and to be honest, being a tall, skinny guy I start to get cold when the water gets below 55, despite dryuit, dry gloves and LOTS of underwear (leading to lots of lead). If the argon helps at all it will be well worth it for me espicially on chilly winter double or triple boat dives (wreck and scallops all winter long). Afterall for us divers in the NE, the only time the vis gets good is when the water gets cold.

Thanks again for the help!

Pug's setup is the one recommended by GUE. I also use it.

Open water DIR is to use the 6 cf bottle on a belt loop large enough to slide over the D-ring on the left hip and to use a bungee to hold it up close to the backplate on the belt. I tried it and it worked fine as well.

omar

I do agree that purging your drysuit with Argon before a dive is much more efficient in retaining heat. Argon is heavier than air, so when you put it in, it tends to sink towards your feet. What we do is overinflate the suits, then squat and "burp" it through the neck and repeat. This allows for most of the gas in the drysuit to be Argon. I use air in my 6' inflator bottle. The amount that is added is a small fraction of the total in the drysuit. To add a small fraction of Argon to a large quantity of air does not give the same results. The only"problem" as I see it is that you get quite hot before you get into the water.

Robert:doctor:

Does anyone have any good pictures of the "wreck mount" argon mounting that there's pictures of on the WKPP website? There's only pictures of the mounting with no regulator attached, so the hose routing is left up to the imagination. Unfortunately, George's physique in the photos is not. :rolleyes:

But how does the hose routing work? The regulator is on the bottom of the cylinder - does the hose route forward or aft of the cylinder? Just trying to picture the hose connected to a drysuit, and I think it's something I need to see.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Just trying to picture the hose connected to a drysuit, and I think it's something I need to see.
Here is what I use Ben... I have it mounted in a loop on my backplate and held there by a bungee... the regulator is facing forward and slightly inward and the hose routes straight up to my valve. This is very discreet and tucked away... so much so that it is hard to see in my profile picture but behind the 70 ft bottle is a tiny speck of yellow... that is my argon bottle.
The photo attached shows things a little clearer... in use the regulator points inward more.

It runs from the valve under the waist strap to the DS inflator. It is not in the way and I don't notice it at all. Runs like UPs, but just lower.

ERic

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom