DIR Configuration for a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn:
How do you get your cameras neutral? With tray, arms, strobe and WAL, mine is definitely negative.

Mine is as well. My guess is that those participants in this thread that talking about their cameras being neutral do not dive with housed professional level camera's (read large) in metal housings with huge ports and two heavy strobes and 2-3 ft long arms.

If there is someone out there with heavy metal housing, and two heavy strobes that did manage to get their system neutral w/o adding substantial bulk and/or additional failure points, i'd be really interested to see how that's done

vlada:
Mine is as well. My guess is that those participants in this thread that talking about their cameras being neutral do not dive with housed professional level camera's (read large) in metal housings with huge ports and two heavy strobes and 2-3 ft long arms.

If there is someone out there with heavy metal housing, and two heavy strobes that did manage to get their system neutral w/o adding substantial bulk and/or additional failure points, i'd be really interested to see how that's done

I'm not diving with that level of equipment (I wish I was) just an Oly 5050 in a PT-015, UCLS tray & arms, S&S DX90. The rig is negative. I'm planning to add a second strobe which I'm sure will make it more negative.

PVC tube filled with foam and capped at both ends. Depending on your set up attachment may need to be creative.

salty:
PVC tube filled with foam and capped at both ends. Depending on your set up attachment may need to be creative.

While good idea in principal, those would have to be quite large to balance out the system. Can't attach them to the housing or strobes. Attaching them to the strobe arms would create a lot of bulk. During the working portion of the dive, i swim with my stobe arms extended full length - i do not want anything attached to my arms that will create more drug and make swimming more difficult. It is amasing how much drug you get from thin arms that are 2-3ft long - i would not want anything on them to make it worse. So for me, this would create more problems than it solves

THis might be a good idea for someone doing a lot of macro work who does not swim much but has to hold the camera in the same spot for long time. Plus the arms for macro are much shorter

salty:

Salty, do you have picture of this system that you can post?

My large Aquatica housing, strobes etc... is very negative at least 3-4 lbs. I would love to get it neutral, but I'm with Vlada about the increased drag.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom