DIR / DIR Curious Shore Dive Event - October 9th - Final Planning / Details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As many of you probably know, I've set up a shore diving event for DIR and DIR curious divers to come hang out, chat about this whole DIR thing, and of course, get a dive or two in. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/so...re-dive-event-october-9th-heisler-laguna.html for more information.

I know the original thread has gotten kind of massive....and if you haven't been following since the beginning, you're probably not inclined to try to read through eight pages of us blabbing on about how excited we are about the whole thing. So I figured it would be easiest to just make a separate thread to give out some of the final information.

First, I'd like to get an accurate head count. I have the list of people who said they were interested in joining. Please let me know if you cannot make it any longer....also, if you didn't get your name on the first list, please let me know if you'll be able to make it now (I know I posted the other one so long before the event, so you may not have known then :wink:).

Who's coming?

DIR (has taken a GUE/UTD course):
1. ligersandtions - Nicole
2. xstephenx - Stephen
3. jenth - Jen
4. lobstah - Maciek (UTD instructor)
5. Ramsy - Walter
6. hsuan - Jennifer
7. Codyjp - Cody
8. Rainer - Christopher
9. SCUBA Q - Quintin
10. stargost - Cyrille
11. Steve Millington - Steve (GUE instructor)
12. leabre - Shawn
13. Charles
14. Blackwood - Marc
15. Bob Sherwood - GUE Instructor
16. Jeff_S - Jeff Seckendorf (UTD Instructor)
17. Christian
18. Mr Carcharadon - Andy
19. Karim Hamza - GUE Instructor

DIR curious (has not yet taken a GUE/UTD course):
1. textilet
2. pfulks
3. Leslie
4. Selchie in LB
5. Venom
6. textilet/pfulk's sister
7. scubadobadoo
8. scobadobadoo's wife
9. formula1mb
10. Oside Jimc
11. peewee2472
12. Roger
13. C2001
14. Leejnd + Charlie (not diving)
15. spg01
16. Ericlt1

Next, Bob Sherwood has graciously offered to get some backplates and wings together for those who might be interested in trying one out. Please let me know if you would like to borrow a bp/w so I can get an accurate count for Bob.

What's the plan?

We'll plan to meet at Heisler Park at the picnic tables. If you don't know me (or anyone else who's planning to be at this event), we'll be the big group of people with dive gear :wink:

Turns out, the picnic tables fill up very early, so I'm planning to get there before 6:30am....you do not need to show up that early, unless you really want to! For those wanting to make the first dive, please plan to be at Heisler around 8am.

The first dive will likely be around 10am. This will give us plenty of time to go through some introductions (including a quick introduction about UTD and GUE), set up gear, chat about gear differences, establish buddy teams, and make dive plans. Please think of this time as an open Q&A type session....if you have a question, ask! Ask me, ask any of the people who have been diving this way for a while, ask any of the UTD or GUE instructors....we're all there to have fun and talk about diving and DIR. Trust me when I say that we are all very excited about diving and the prospect of growing our local community.

This event is going to be very informal, so I don't have (or want) any presentations set up. I happen to believe that seeing is believing when it comes to DIR....seeing it in action is going to do more for everyone than talking your ear off about it (especially for those who may be on the fence about it anyways).

After we have all the initial chit-chat taken care of (or at 10am....which ever happens first :wink:), we'll plan to head in for the first dive. When we're done with the first dive, we'll plan to have lunch and chat some more. If people are feeling motivated and conditions are worth it, we will get in for an optional second dive.

And now to the important part...

Food / Drinks

This going to be a potluck-style event. That means that everyone should plan to bring something to share with the entire group (and yet another reason why an accurate head count is needed) -- think salad, side dish, fruit, dessert, etc. There are barbecues available, and I have all intentions of snagging one or two when I get there. So if you would like to bring barbecue items (burgers/dogs/chicken/fish/etc, utensils, charcoal, anything else that might be needed), that would be great.

We'll also need drinks, plates, utensils, etc. So please post up what you're planning on bringing, that way we don't end up with 25 people bringing chocolate chip cookies or something like that :D

One final thing....a group of us got together at Heisler a month and a half ago or so, and while there are picnic tables, we found that it was much more comfortable to sit on lawn/camping chairs, rather than at the tables. I don't have nearly enough chairs to offer to the entire group, so please bring chairs if you want to sit on them! I believe three of us have offered to bring ez-ups, so we should have the shade situation figured out.

Hope you are all able to make it! This should be a really great event....you'll have the opportunity to meet new dive buddies, potential instructors (or students if you're an instructor), learn a little about DIR, and see it in action underwater....plus eat some yummy food!

Last edited:
Jennifer and I will bring a couple of cases of drinks.

...that way we don't end up with 25 people bringing chocolate chip cookies or something like that :D

Help me to understand how this could be a problem?

We'll bring a pasta salad dish, some chicken to BBQ and I'd imagine Leslie will make some sort of amazing desert.

I'd also recommend people bring extra chairs if they have them, and if they also have a dream of ever seeing their chair again, put your name on it! This should also serve as a general reminder to put your name of anything that might get mixed up with somebody else's.

Also, I think we need to step up recruiting! We've got to have more curios divers than DIR divers!?!

mmm...black bean burgers! those were really good last time.

Yep, you can count me for some dessert, probably a lot of dessert. Oh, and I will probably make the chickpea salad again. That appeared to be a big hit last time.

Can't wait!

I'll bring some steaks to grill or some type of protein at least!

Is it okay to bring a portable grill there? I have a little portable infrared bbq that works great for steaks and rather use that.

I know some places like big corona don't let you bring your own grills so want to double check.

I'll bring some steaks to grill or some type of protein at least!

Is it okay to bring a portable grill there? I have a little portable infrared bbq that works great for steaks and rather use that.

I know some places like big corona don't let you bring your own grills so want to double check.

Unfortunately, no portable grills, but we had good luck with the grills that were there!

Have I mentioned how much fun this even will be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom