DIR-F class will now be a certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure Chris.

And Kool aid. And all the other anti-DIR characterizations.

Keep going. You should have them all out in a short period of time.

You'll feel better then.

And then you can spout your anti DIR drivel and post obnoxious anti-DIR pictures that have to be removed from this board because they were offensive. You remember that, don't you? It was just the other day. I can post the link if you've forgotten.

Sure Chris. Whatever you say.

I think you're not spending enought time with your buddies on rec.scuba.

chrpai once bubbled...

LOL, you mean they don't assign you the "stroke" rating for a 1?

Seriously, hazardous diver. I'd be very curious as to what standard they use to decide that. Is it a truely dangerous diver, or just one who doesn't do things very DIR like.

I only took a DIRF, but I'd venture to guess that it just means that, a hazardous diver. For example, if a diver can't maintain neutral buoyancy, and bounces between the bottom and the surface, he/she is just that, a hazardous diver, both to him/herself and anyone he/she's diving with.

If you take any DIR class, you will discover right away that there is no "if you don't do it this way you will DIE!!!" attitude in the GUE curriculum.

brandon,

Thanks -- I didn't mean to imply the the rating is any sort of "average" of the individual scores....but I was under the impression that you do get an overall rating from the instructor.

I took DIRF for the second time this summer. Perhaps one of the most useful parts of the course was the 1:1 each of us had with the instructor at the end of the weekend. It started with a self assessment -- how I felt I had done during the weekend and where my skills stood. The instructor then went over his ratings of my skills and his overall assessment of how I did (I am pretty sure this included an overall numerical rating), what I was good at and what I needed more work on, and what my next goals were for my diving.

-Chris

chrpai once bubbled...
Seriously, hazardous diver. I'd be very curious as to what standard they use to decide that. Is it a truely dangerous diver, or just one who doesn't do things very DIR like.

Yeah, if you don't do something perfectly DIR they label you dangerous and fail you... :rolleyes:

cornfed once bubbled...

Yeah, if you don't do something perfectly DIR they label you dangerous and fail you... :rolleyes:

Cornfed, your logic isn't logical here... of course if one tried to be DIR, s/he will need to try to comply wih what DIR system requires. And their standards are high, so if you don't meet the level of a minumum skill set, then yes, you will not pass. what's so bad about that? I would rather have it this way and no pass than pass with the lowest standard just becasue I could finanly managed to complete the required skill... once... I actully rememeber my OW instructor (that was years ago) tellind me and otehr students - "Don't worry, you will never have to remove your mask again". What was he thinking?

BCS once bubbled...
The class is there for divers to make their mistakes in the presence of people that are trained, educated, and skilled in methods to help them work through these problems (or at least point them in the direction of correcting the issues)

Most of all, try to have fun and the learning will come naturally.
Well...did you guys get a good enough fill of mistakes watching me and my buddy on day 1...I swear you guys had to be laughing so hard that's why the video for dive 1 (with my group anyway) was a lost cause. I know for a fact that was ugly stuff (my first time in a wing....buddy's first time with a load of adjustments....hell I'm happy you didn't revoke my OW card after that one)

As for the latter of having fun...what is that all about?? I don't ever recall an ounce of fun in the class...nope not one bit...oh wait...that was college physics...

But on a somewhat serious note...if you want to learn a thing or two about either GUE or DIR I highly suggest this course. I also suggest this to people who are looking to advance in their diving and have gotten fed up with "run-of-the-mill" training....or simply to anyone who just doesn't know where to get training for advanced diving.

go to the course and just listen for a little bit....ask all the questions in the world...hell...even bring a few packets of kool-aid (aka "hop flavored drink") along to share with the group (after the work-day is through of course) .... have fun...meet some friends, and get some dives in to boot.

VTernovski once bubbled...
Cornfed, your logic isn't logical here... of course if one tried to be DIR, s/he will need to try to comply wih what DIR system requires. And their standards are high, so if you don't meet the level of a minumum skill set, then yes, you will not pass. what's so bad about that?

Nothing wrong with it.

My comment was a snide way of telling Painter to shut up. There is a difference between not passing and being labeled "dangerous", a difference it doesn't appear Painter understands. He used large_diver's comment to further some of the classic GUE/DIR missconceptions. And I said, "yeah, whatever..." Nothing more.

I've got a question for Mike or anyone else that want's to jump in.

With a GUE card, what is the acceptance level of shops worldwide (not just in the U.S) to rent equipment, recognize GUE as a cert agency for diving while travelling..

Thanks

Alex

FossilFinder once bubbled...
I've got a question for Mike or anyone else that want's to jump in.

With a GUE card, what is the acceptance level of shops worldwide (not just in the U.S) to rent equipment, recognize GUE as a cert agency for diving while travelling..

Thanks

Alex

Alex,

That's not a reasonable question actually. GUE doesn't offer a basic scuba class yet. It's an advanced card on top of whatever the basic may be. You don't need it for renting equipment or diving worldwide.

As for worldwide acceptance, give it time. The training is good.

I suspect that whenever the GUE set's up a basic class, recognition by the RSTC as to meeting or exceeding the set industry standards will be met.

LACounty4806 once bubbled...

That's not a reasonable question actually.

You might not like answering that question but it doesn't make it unreasonable.

Cornfed: BTW how many dives do you have now? And how many GUE classes have you taken? You seem to know it all around here about DIR already.

Back
Top Bottom