DIR-F class will now be a certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FossilFinder once bubbled...
to rent equipment
What equipment were you specifically thinking of in your question?

If I were on a trip and a cert. card were requested I would use my PADI OW. If they wanted more I would dig out the SSI Nitrox card.

chrpai once bubbled...

Cornfed: <snip> You seem to know it all around here about DIR already.

My recent comments about DIR and GUE are nothing that someone with a little common sense couldn't figure out themselves.

cornfed once bubbled...

My recent comments about DIR and GUE are nothing that someone with a little common sense couldn't figure out themselves.

I've been a certified diver for more than 20 yrs. now. Never one incident. I must be DIR as far as I'm concerned. I'm giving myself a cert.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

What equipment were you specifically thinking of in your question?

If I were on a trip and a cert. card were requested I would use my PADI OW. If they wanted more I would dig out the SSI Nitrox card.

I'm not DIR/GUE but I am sitting overseas and have my backplate/wings & regs in a dufflebag but I couldn't quite fit my tanks (I had to make room for the Kevlar helmet and body armor). I realize that alot of places with rent tanks without a C-card but... Of course since I haven't taken a DIR-F, is the renting of tanks even allowed or is renting tanks from a non GUE facility too much of a risk?

To address someone else's comment that DIR-F isn't a 'basic' certification, does GUE plan on implementing one or does the very concept of anything less than DIR-F make you fundamentally unsafe?

On On

Alex

I'm not DIR/GUE but I am sitting overseas and have my backplate/wings & regs in a dufflebag but I couldn't quite fit my tanks (I had to make room for the Kevlar helmet and body armor). I realize that alot of places with rent tanks without a C-card but... Of course since I haven't taken a DIR-F, is the renting of tanks even allowed or is renting tanks from a non GUE facility too much of a risk?

To address someone else's comment that DIR-F isn't a 'basic' certification, does GUE plan on implementing one or does the very concept of anything less than DIR-F make you fundamentally unsafe?

On On

Alex

You da Man...YOU Da MAN !

:bang: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bang:

To address someone else's comment that DIR-F isn't a 'basic' certification, does GUE plan on implementing one

I'm pretty sure they have a basic OW class in the works but I'm not sure when they will start teaching it.

MHK:
Genesis,

Once again I don't understand your issue(s), and I'd be happy to address them..

As to your smoking concern, our view is simple. In addition to smoking being an otherwise unhealthy idea, it speaks directly to diving inasmuch as up to 25% of the smoke inhaled binds to a diver's hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is what transports oxygen, which if limited by up to 25%, means that it's more likely that a diver can get bent. That is particularly more important as you move into upper level classes such as technical diving wherein a diver is in decompression and uses elevated oxygen mixes to accelarate decompression. I don't want a student in my class that is 25% less efficient, but if that is your choice there are other agencies that are more relaxed in that regard.

Also, I just reviewed the thread and once again I'm struggling to find any statements that I've made that are "so far out there that it's inexplainable" I'm happy to speak to the issues, but so far I see much hyperbole and little direct questions..

Regards,

Michael Kane

How does a lower level of O2 in the divers blood cause a higher liklihood of being bent? There was a recent thread in the "Ask Dr Deco" forum about the transfer of nitrogen form the tissues to the lungs and out. It doesn't correlate to oxygenated hemoglobin. If you want to argue decreased lung capacity and function I can go with that on a conceptual level. But not the arguement you jsut put forward.

How does someone revive a three year old thread?

Back
Top Bottom