DIR-F for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIRF isn't about having your mask ripped off, either, and they're not going to be throwing multiple failures at you. The worst they did to us was when we were doing OOA on a three man team and the two in the OOA got so focused on the OOA drill that they lost track of the other guy and the other guy wasn't maintaining contact, so the other guy lost his mask to make a point (instructor will 'ask' for it, too, not pull it).

DIRF is just the way you should have learned your open water skills, that's why its a 'fundamentals' class.

lamont:
DIRF isn't about having your mask ripped off, either, and they're not going to be throwing multiple failures at you. The worst they did to us was when we were doing OOA on a three man team and the two in the OOA got so focused on the OOA drill that they lost track of the other guy and the other guy wasn't maintaining contact, so the other guy lost his mask to make a point (instructor will 'ask' for it, too, not pull it).

DIRF is just the way you should have learned your open water skills, that's why its a 'fundamentals' class.

Yup, when I took the course, it was stressed that this was not a failures based course. On the other hand, Tech one is (and from what I was told they break out the air gun there).

But, no one should be "scared" to take DIR-f in the sense that they are rough with you or scream at you - in my experince most of the negative comments are from the students about themselves (it can be a real ego-buster when you see the video). It's really just like a PADI OW course, except they make you do the skills for real.

jplacson:
As long as you enter the class WILLING TO LEARN. You will come out a much better diver. Whether you agree with the lessons or not... if you're willing to learn... it will make a HUGE difference in your diving after the class.
Our class is in the middle of the month, and I'm looking forward to it. I have heard this comment from others and the intent is clear. I just couldn't imagine any diver taking the fundies course with nothing more the the willingness to learn.

I suppose there are those that are the chest thumping types that want their egos stroked. You can bet the instructors could have "fun" with that type of diver........

MASS-Diver:
Yup, when I took the course, it was stressed that this was not a failures based course. On the other hand, Tech one is (and from what I was told they break out the air gun there).

More about Tech one please.

i've heard tek 1 is task-load to the max. failure upon failure upon failure are
heaped on you, and you have to cope.

can't even imagine what tek 2 would be like

H2Andy:

Is it odd that I think that would be fun?

H2Andy:

I thought I read a report on a DIR-F class that sounded more like Tech 1 . Maybe it was Tech 1, or maybe it was written by an exaggerator. I'll try to find it.

ABQdiver:
Our class is in the middle of the month, and I'm looking forward to it. I have heard this comment from others and the intent is clear. I just couldn't imagine any diver taking the fundies course with nothing more the the willingness to learn.

I suppose there are those that are the chest thumping types that want their egos stroked. You can bet the instructors could have "fun" with that type of diver........

The reason I said this is that the lessons they teach you are really basic (hence the name FUNDAMENTALS) ... and the only people who will NOT take anything from this course are those hard-headed divers...whether they're OW or Tech... if you refuse to learn a better way to dive... whatever your reason may be, from pride to ignorance, there's nothing this class will do for you. Except maybe lighten your wallet a bit.

Totally clueless divers who have the eagerness to learn and practice the drills will learn so much more than experienced divers who refuse to listen and understand.

Well, the OFFICIAL DIR-F curriculum wasn't really finalized up until a few years ago. I think back in '99 or 2000, it was 'known as' the Fundamentals course... but it wasn't officially DIR-F yet... so even my GUE friends who did take DIR-F a few years ago said it wasn't like it is now.

Mainly because a few years ago, only the cave/tech diving community knew about DIR-F. The recreational divers really didn't know anything beyond the usual PADI/NAUI stuff.

Now that more OW divers are finding out about DIR... the instructors are finding a more recptive audience for the GUE diving method... hence less need for the "Nazi" classes since your students aren't as aggressive. (Assuming mostly OW divers)

The class itself is the same. Only the harshness of the instructors change depending on the kind of students they have at the time.

Oh, and a cert in DIR-F means that you can advance to Tech or Cave 1. If you get Provisional (Like our entire class did)... that just means that you need to train more IF you want to continue to Tech/Cave 1... have yourself re-evaluated by a GUE instructor to see if you can pass Fundamentals... if you pass, you get the card, then you can sign up for Tech/Cave 1.

Evad,
You might find the link below interesting -it's a little difficult to read but worthwhile.

http://www.johnkendall.org.uk/tech1-report.txt

A question for you chaps/chappesses!

H2Andy mentioned:-
5. sharing air drill; and
6. timed out-of-air ascents

What are these drills 5/6 ie what do they involve? Is No 5 the 'S-drill'?
Is No 6 buddy breathing ? Is buddy breathing used in DIRF at all? Or are we talking of Backup reg/Long hose donation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom