DIR-F for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
Evad,
You might find the link below interesting -it's a little difficult to read but worthwhile.

http://www.johnkendall.org.uk/tech1-report.txt

A question for you chaps/chappesses!

H2Andy mentioned:-
5. sharing air drill; and
6. timed out-of-air ascents

What are these drills 5/6 ie what do they involve? Is No 5 the 'S-drill'?
Is No 6 buddy breathing ? Is buddy breathing used in DIRF at all? Or are we talking of Backup reg/Long hose donation?

I think #6 is the ascent with 1 minuten stops on 9, 6, 3 metres while one team member is breathing on someone elses longhose

Reinoud,
Thanks. Out of curiosity - these are actual stops rather than a really slow ascent?

it's actually a 30 sec stop, with a 30 sec ascent to the next stop.

theoretically... if you could do a REALLY slow continuous ascent (10 feet in 60 sec, or 1 foot every 6 seconds, or 2 inches every second) it would have the same effect.

the 30 sec stop/30 sec ascent is mainly because an ascent of 2 inches per sec is kinda harder to monitor.

Jplacson,
Na I aint good enough! Even in my dreams ! :)
CAn you tell me about 5 - is this an S drill?

Jplacson,
Thanks. I'm not good enough for DIRF but it's always nice to know what I should be looking at. BTW I'm still getting used to my kit so when I'm more comfortable with that I may end up doing DIRF at some point but PADI Rescue is next for me.

Well, very few people take DIRF and are "good enough" for it. Our of the 20 that took it in the last 2 weeks... not a single one of us passed. None of us failed... but we all got provisional ratings.

Most of the others probably won't continue on to Tech/Cave 1 so I doubt they'll really train hard after the class. I will though, even though I don't have any intentions of going up the GUE ladder. I told my friends (who are about to finish their internship for the DIRF Instructor license) to train me as if I'm going to be taking Tech/Cave 1. They will re-evaluate me in a few months... and hopefully I'll pass then.

The reason I'm taking this seriously is I feel that passing DIR-F should be the bare minimum that every diver should be. It's not rocket science. It's just fundamentals. I feel the diving world would be a much safer and better place if every OW diver was good enough to pass the DIRF class.

GUE will be coming up with their OW course within the year... kinda sucks since their OW course is pretty complete... it's like PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, and Nitrox PLUS DIRF. All rolled into one. This is a class I wish I could (and maybe I will) take. We'll see.

**Just another note... there was some guy who died a few resorts down from where we were taking our class... dove to 300 feet on a single tank of air... him and his buddy had reps for doing those sorts of dives. Looks like luck ran out. The guy died once he got to the surface... explosive DCS. His buddy survived but had to be rushed to the chamber. Hearing this news made me more determined to practice my skills and develop a more responsible diving outlook. It isn't fun anymore when people start dying. And for what? To see a fish?

JPlacson,

I saw that thread and understand what you mean. I wish you every success and who knows one day I might even get good enough to buddy you :) Well I can but dream.

Hahahaha... thanks for the words of encouragement... but like I said... I didn't pass DIRF. hahahaha... if I were you, do DIRF before you do PADI rescue. I honestly feel people should take DIRF right after OW cert. It really will make a world of difference... whether you pass or not.

dbulmer:
H2Andy mentioned:-
5. sharing air drill; and
6. timed out-of-air ascents

What are these drills 5/6 ie what do they involve? Is No 5 the 'S-drill'?
Is No 6 buddy breathing ? Is buddy breathing used in DIRF at all? Or are we talking of Backup reg/Long hose donation?

number 5 is your basic S-drill, but done at a hover. you exchange regulators,
get control of the hose, and head out in a pre-arranged direction.

number 6 involves the exact same thing as no. 5, but then you have to ascend
together while sharing the long hose. the ascent is timed, and you have
to make stops at specific depths.

the hardest part was not swimming into each other. everytime one of the buddies
moves a fin, there you go crashing into each other.

and it's not true everybody fails. both my buddy and i passed on the first try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom